This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Recently, I just did an interview over Skype for the first time for an internship I was applying for. It was a different experience for me personally, but because of technology being so present in every career feed, it may be something you’ll come across in your future intern or job search. So I have created just a few tips if you’ve never been through this before.

1. Make Eye Contact

I know that you’ve probably heard that you should make eye contact when you’re talking to people, and you’re wondering how you’re supposed to make eye contact with somewhere when you’re not actually in front of them. Look at the camera instead of the screen, I know it’s hard, everyone is guilty of looking at themselves when they’re on FaceTime with their SO or best friend, but looking at the camera is the best way to make it seem like you’re actually looking at the interviewer.

2. Pick Your Location Wisely

If you’re in your bedroom and there’s a big mess behind you, just throw it on the floor and pick it up later because you do not want a big pile of laundry on your bed in the background. If you’re in your dorm, ask your roommate to keep it down and if they’re a decent person they probably won’t mind sitting tight for twenty minutes. If you’re at home, or even you’re dorm, I’d suggest putting a note on your door that says “Doing a Skype interview for a job/internship, please don’t knock.” Try to pick the quietest place you can.

3. You Still Have To Look Presentable

At least from the waist up. Put on a nice top and make sure that you actually do your hair. I wouldn’t wear your DSU hoodie with a bonnet on, put on what you would wear to an actual interview. Well, if you want to wear sweatpants and your slides that’s fine because the interviewer won’t be able to see, but make sure whatever part of you is in the camera looks professional.

4. Username

If you’re like me and had a Skype in middle school you probably had some weird username with some singer you like names added to it. But you should really just choose your name. If your name is taken, put your name and add your major or concentration to the end.

5. Cheat Sheet

The super convenient thing about doing a Skype interview (aside from the fact that you don’t have to go anywhere) you can have your resume, the job description, and the company website open. Don’t pay attention to them too much because there will be an awkward pause if you just stop because you’re reading something from your screen, but if they ask a question then a quick glance at something in the job description may help you answer. Make sure you don’t have anything else like Twitter open, and if you have a Mac and get notifications to your computer, put it on do not disturb like you would with your phone at an in person interview.

DSU Student. Mass Communications Major. IG: j.hane.y Twitter: Jhaney__
Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.