This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Boxing seems to be one of the newest trends among celebrities to get in shape, and it’s not hard to tell why. For a year I went every week Monday through Thursday to a gym that offered boxing lessons about ten minutes away from my house.

All through high school I was a cheerleader and all of the conditioning we did during practice was how I stayed in shape. When summertime came around, I wasn’t cheering and I was staying in the house everyday just eating Oreo’s and watching TV. I was starting to feel tired and suddenly not doing anything active was starting to bother me, so I knew I had to start working out. However, I never enjoyed going to the gym. Whenever I go I just see all this equipment and have no idea what to do with it. I conditioned by tumbling and throwing people up in the air, but when I would go to a gym I would think: how long do you even walk on a treadmill? And sure, I’m fairly strong so I can lift weights, but what do I do with them? Just pick them up and put them back down a couple times? That’s boring.

When I came to DSU, I had to give up my favorite work out routine which was hard because I did this everyday, if you’re similar to me, and you want to work out but the treadmill and hip abductor machine just isn’t your thing and you didn’t really have an interest in playing any sports after high school, this same gym just opened up twenty minutes away from DSU’s campus.

The gym is owned by Professor Greg Pritchett, head trainer and operated by him and his son Sensei Greg Pritchett, four time kickboxing champion and youngest black belt in the modern Vee-Jitsu system. And don’t worry if they seem intimidating, they’re nicer than they look and are here to help you.

The gym is MVJ Athletics, they offer kickboxing, boxing and Vee-Jitsu (self defense) classes. If you want to try it out, they do a 30 Day for $30 trial program, where you can try any or all three classes you want for a month for $30 to decide if you like it.

There is more to these classes than just kicking and hitting, there is a lot of conditioning involved that will leave your body sore if that’s what you’re looking to actually feel the workout after the workout.

For more information, you can click here to go to their website or call (302)-697-1289

The address is: 116 Sarah Circle Suites E,F. Camden, DE 19934

And a lot of girls and women take these programs, so don’t feel intimidated because it’s more of a male atmosphere, everyone is welcome. I was my high schools cheerleading captain when I signed up, I was scared to hop into class with a bunch of experienced fighters, but all of them only wanted to help me, any experienced fighter isn’t just going to immediately tear into you if you’re new. My first time (at the gym in Newark) one of these intimidating guys on the wall came up to me and let me punch him in the stomach repeatedly while he explained what I was doing wrong. Don’t be afraid to try something new ladies.

DSU Student. Mass Communications Major. IG: j.hane.y Twitter: Jhaney__
Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.