Miss Entrepreneur Publicist is in A Classroom Near You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

In 1995, Lynn Hobson interned for The Terrie Williams Agency and gained experience working with clients such as Eddie Murphy, Boyz II Men and Essence Magazine. Hobson is now a teaching a course in Public Relations Writing at Delaware State University. Her experience includes image consultant, damage control public relations, and media placements.  

“The Personal Touch: What You Really Need to Succeed in Today’s Fast Paced Business World” by Terrie Williams, was the book that inspired Hobson. “I wrote the author a letter and asked for an internship. Moved from Washington, D.C to New York City for the internship, it turned into a job and I never left”. She explained how moving from D.C to New York was different, and that she had to learn to how to be fast because she was living in a fast paced city.  With two years of experience under her belt, she started at Epic/Sony Music as a Director of Publicity at Untertainment Records.

Hobson published a book titled “A Diary of A Hip Hop Publicist” which commemorates her 20 years in the business that is spiritually based and talks about her experiences in the industry. Working as a Publicist can be different from teaching in a classroom. “I teach what’s in the book, and then after each chapter I give them an example of an experience I’ve had. I break down chapter to explain to them what I did in that situation”.

In May 2015, Hobson earned her BA in Arts & Sciences from The City College of New York. Even though she has lived her dream as a publicist it is inspiring that she still went back and  finished her degree. Usually, working in a fast paced career does not leave anytime for anything extra such as teaching however Hobson said she loves giving back to others.  “Young adults are always coming to me and asking questions, so it felt natural for me to teach. And I love it”. Lastly, Hobson biggest  advice to anyone who wants to work in the field of Public Relations is Network. “It is very important for you to network. You can not just sit behind your computer or phone on social media and do nothing. You have to go to events and make yourself seen because out of sight is out of mind”.

Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.