Meeting Celebrity Make-Up Artist Dr. Kym Lee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

As a make-up artist, you always dream of meeting one of the many make-up artists that influence you to create all things beautiful and magical all through make-up. And I was given that opportunity to meet one of my biggest inspirations in make-up, Dr. Kym Lee make-up artist to the stars.

Given the opportunity to moderate a session which she spoke at here at DSU, I made sure that my face was beat beyond measure, cut crease, matte lips, big lashes, the works. But after we began the session I realized that there was so much more to one of my influencers than I ever realized.

Dr. Kym Lee began her career in the 90s when she was the make-up artist at Black Entertainment Television (BET), but in all actuality, being a make-up artist wasn’t her first choice. Graduating with honors from Bowie State University, Lee actually went to Georgetown Law School to become an entertainment lawyer after a traumatic experience she had while attending BSU.

“When I was on SGA, I set up for Jodeci to perform at my school, and come to find out they couldn’t perform at two schools within the same week in a 90 mile radius, so they took our deposit and just when and performed at Howard (University) and I was so embarrassed,” explained Lee.

After finding out that Law School wasn’t for her, she began working at her family owned salon and that’s where her passion for make-up began.

“My aunt asked me to do a client’s make-up, so I did it and the client started crying and I was thinking to myself that I’ve messed up this too, but the client was crying because she felt so beautiful and that’s when I knew this is what I wanted to,” said Lee.

As the session continued, Lee explained the importance of branding and becoming a mogul through the usages of social media.

“The most important thing about branding is to remain true to yourself and spread nothing but positivity to those around you, and blessing will come your way,” Lee expressed.

Dr. Kym Lee left us with the feeling of hope that our dreams can and will come true if we continue to work just as hard as we have been doing now.

Oh and did I mentions she is stunning too??

Hello! My name is Janae Faison and I am I double major at Delaware State University as a English and Journalism major. DSU Chapter of Her Campus just like the rest of the site is meant to empower all young women who are in college. Enjoy the DSU Chapter of Her Campus!
Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.