This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Love Yourself First

Whether intentional or not, women make plans. We map goals and dreams in our heads, aloud to our friends, on paper, and when we are having our deepest thoughts right before we fall asleep or when taking a long, hot shower. We love to happily envision the lives and futures that we want for ourselves. Lives that will hopefully consist of having children, finding a husband, working successful at our dream job, regularly having nights out with the girls, and living in a beautiful two-door garage home. But society (and Disney movies!) has played a hand in planting the ideal in our head that in order to reach these elements of success, a man is required to be at your side. This is false. Anything a man can do, a woman can do just as well. There is nothing more disrespectful and aggravating than when someone holds you to a different standard or belittles you just because of your sex. The first step to any change starts with you (I’m talking too all you ladies). Know that you are a talented, unique being and that you are capable of doing anything that you are willing to work for. Do not let anyone keep you into a box or tell you what you can or cannot do. Be selfish. Dedicate a Saturday to paint your nails, deep condition your hair, do a face mask, listen to a playlist of your favorite songs, and maybe even watch your favorite movie. Put yourself first for a change. When we begin to love ourselves unconditionally, only then will we began to see the positive changes reflected in our mindsets, our attitudes, and our spirits.  You are beautiful, courageous, and creative. Be strong. To end on a positive note, here are a few lyrics from the song “Video” by India Arie:

“I’m not the average girl from your video and I ain’t built like a supermodel.

But I learned to love myself unconditionally, because I am a queen.

I’m not the average girl from your video.

My worth is not determined by the price of my clothes.

No matter what I’m wearing, I will always be India Arie.”

Born and raised in sunny California but am currently attending DESU. Studying mass communications & theatre. Hopefully you'll see me on TV some day but for now, you can read some of my articles!
Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.