Free Yourself!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Free Yourself!

By: Kyla Smallwood  

Moving on, The hardest part of the process. It doesn’t matter if it was a relationship or simply an important friendship. This can be hard because broken bonds are something most people don’t take lightly. You can become so attached to a person that you forget how to function without them. That friend that you used to be able to call suddenly doesn’t pick up anymore. That boyfriend/girlfriend that you used to do everything with isn’t there anymore. I read something that hit home for me “it’s not the person you miss, it’s the routine”. That quote alone speaks volumes. We get so caught up in the routine of things with certain people that when they leave we no longer know how to function. It’s like my heart is soooo big and I care so much about things that sometimes don’t care about me. I had to learn how to stop giving certain people and certain situations so much of my time and effort. Because truth be told I wasn’t getting the same attention back. But when it was time to rid myself of this attachment it was so hard because I had a certain routine. Once I tried to cut the tie it was like I could feel myself getting weak. I loved this thing so much but this thing didn’t love me back anymore. My weakness was I could never see the bad in a person that I cared about. Some people don’t like to admit this but YES it was easy for certain people to walk all over me because in my eyes they were an angel, I would forgive and forget so easily. BUT, WHEN A PERSON SHOWS YOU WHO THEY ARE THE FIRST TIME BELIEVE THEM! Trust me nobody is gonna show their ass and not be telling the truth! Nobody is gonna lie or use you and not be showing your exactly who they really are! BELIEVE ME!!! It was time to cut it off but how? I prayed! I asked God to cut anything that was not like him out off my life. I asked him to cut anyone who wasn’t for me out of my life! I can’t even began to tell you how light my load got. Sometimes we get so caught up in the routine that we forget to ask ourselves if this thing even requires our attention. Now when this person or thing is put in front of you after you have claimed to move on, and it doesn’t phase you… then you have passed the test. – Kyla

Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.