This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DESU chapter.

Football and Basketball are the two most played sports in high school. And that’s why these two great teen series were such a success. Believe it or not once you are fully committed to a sport, it affects everything in your life. You see how that plays out in both series, Sports doesn’t necceasily controls your life, its just a huge part of your life.

Friday Night Lights – An American drama television series about a high school football team in the fictional town of Dillon, Texas.

One Tree Hill – an American television drama series created by Mark Schwahn. The show is set in the fictional town of Tree Hill in North Carolina and originally follows the lives of two half-brothers, Lucas Scott and Nathan Scott, who compete for positions on their school’s basketball team.

HERE IS HOW THESE SPORTS AFFECTS YOUR LIFE.

FAMILY

One Tree Hill – Half brothers Luke and Nathan are on the same basketball team, however despise each other. Since their Dad left Luke’s mom for Nathan’s mom, it’s not a big happy family. However, what brings them together is basketball.

Friday Night Lights – The coach Eric Taylor tries to balance his family life and being a football coach to the panthers. However its more complicated than it seems because coaching a football team is like having another family.

FRIENDS

One Tree Hill – Luke’s best friend is Haley, but then she starts to fall for Nathan, someone who Luke really does not like. If wasn’t for basketball, Haley would have never became a cheerleader and would have never met her longtime friend Brooke and Peyton.

Friday Night Lights – The whole team is full of boys who would never be friends if it wasn’t for Football. You got the slacker kid that drinks to much, the anti-social weird kid, the conceited jock that only worries about himself and the team leader.

RELATIONSHIPS 

One Tree Hill – So many relationships. Growing up I thought basketball players had to be with cheerleaders however even though it may look cute, so things are just not met to be. Such as Peyton and Nathan, who stayed together because it was convenient.

Friday Night Lights – Coach Taylor’s daughter starts to date one of his players and of course he’s worried because of the stereotype of jocks in high school. Even on this show the star player and head cheerleader was together destined to be married. Sad to say that didn’t work out.

COLLEGE 

One Tree Hill – Senior year for these players are not about SAT’s and recommendations. Its all about college recruiters. Does Nathan get an offer, does Lucas get an offer? Who has to leave their entire life behind to college across the country?

Friday Night Lights – Leaving in Dillon, Texas is either you received a scholarship, you get recruited or you don’t go to college at all. So the recruiting process is really serious, if you want to escape this small town.

FUTURE

One Tree Hill – The great thing about this show is that further in the series, it jumps 6 years later. So we can see how everyone turned out, how they got their and how they have changed. Since high school is long gone, is Basketball still a main focus in the series after the 6 years.

Friday Night Lights – So many changes occur as the series continues. One huge outrageous change is when some of the players have to transfer to a different school. The future for all the characters of Friday Night Lights is still being affected by football.

Raised in Queens, with a major in Mass Communication and a love for writing. Graduating in 2018 in hopes of working in Television production. I love reading novels, blogs and magazine articles. I'm completed addicted to TV Shows and my ultimate goal is to always have fun.