You Who! Big Thanksgivng Blowout: Your Guide to Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Everyone loves a good deal when it comes to shopping, and everyone knows that the day with the best deals of the year is none other than the day after Thanksgiving – Black Friday.  It’s the perfect time to get some of those Christmas gifts crossed off your list, or even to treat yourself to those cute boots you’ve been checking out recently.  Nearly every store has a sale or some kind of deal to draw you into the crowds in search of one specific item.  This year many stores even have specials starting Thanksgiving night!  So if you’re one of the brave souls heading out this year, read on for some survival tips

1)    Come prepared with a plan

When my mom goes Black Friday shopping she spends hours searching through advertisements from her favorite stores to see where the best deals are.  It’s beneficial to write down and create a list of the specific items you are looking for as well as how much they will cost and what store you will find them at.  By doing this early and coming in with a plan of what you are looking for, you save time getting in and out of a store quickly and moving on to the next one with ease!  

2)    Be civil

Oftentimes Black Friday shopping is associated with rude individuals who will stop at nothing to get their desired item.  While the crowds can be overwhelming and fighting over a sweater is never an ideal situation, remember to still try to keep a cheery disposition.  Instead of tugging on that sweater and possibly ripping it, just let go and hunt down another one.

3)    Cyber Monday

Don’t feel like going into the crowds at all?  You’re in luck!  In recent years Cyber Monday has become a huge event where you can get Black Friday-like deals from the comfort of your own home.  Practically every store that has a website participates in Cyber Monday so if you ended up not finding another sweater after giving it up, you can always buy it from the store’s website on Monday!  In the past few years, stores such as Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters have typically had a better sale on Cyber Monday than they did on Black Friday.

Whether you go into the Black Friday crowds or stay home and partake in Cyber Monday, the weekend after Thanksgiving is truly the biggest shopping weekend of the year.  Good luck and hopefully you are able to purchase all of the items on your list!

Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.