Why I Love “This Is Us”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

This Is Us aired September 20th 2016 and has now been named America’s most talked about TV series. It stars Mandy Moore, (who you may remember from A Walk to Remember) Milo Ventimiglia (Rory’s bad boy boyfriend from Gilmore Girls), along with the brilliant, Emmy award winning actor, Sterling K. Brown (The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story). The pilot begins with several story lines, and we soon find out these people not only all share the same birthday, but are all connected. We watch as their paths cross, their families grow and it wouldn’t be unusual we ourselves shed a tear. There tag line: “This is real. This is love. This is life.” And, I don’t know about you, but this show has my heart. Here’s why:

1. The cast

The cast is truly incredible! All the characters bring a unique aspect to the table. Definitely cried at least once while learning about each of their stories (no shame).2. The time hopping

The show jumps back and forth from past to present. I love this aspect because you slowly get to understand the characters on a deeper level and figure out how their past shaped where they are now. Pictured above are the child and teenage versions of three of the main characters (Kate, Randall, and Kevin) with their “parents.” So cute!

3. The life lessons

I think we could all learn a little something about faith from this show. Above is one of my favorite quotes from the pilot.

4. The LOVE!

This show gives me so much hope! There are so many great love stories to follow. Just watch it, okay.

5. THE Jack Pearson

Thought I would end with Jack because he is personally my favorite character. Jack plays the role of father to triplets, friend and also husband to Rebecca (Mandy Moore). He is easy going, caring and if you aren’t in love with him I don’t know what else to say.

And, look it was renewed for two more seasons! If you’re looking for a feel good family drama, This Is Us is for you.

Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.