What Happened to Slowing Down?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Everyone is busy.

You look around and see flustered faces, people running out the door, and others constantly checking the clock. Have you ever wondered how life got to be so fast and busy? I don’t think this is a generational change. As a society, we are obsessed with crossing the finish line first and filling our schedules up with activities to get to the next level and to achieve our goals.

There is nothing wrong with getting ahead and being prepared. However, I have to ask: What happened to slowing down and taking our time?

I want to urge you to slow down, at least for a moment, and take in where you are. I want to offer 3 small yet effective ways to take a second to breathe.

1. Get up 15 minutes early. Mornings can be hectic and a blur. You’re rushing to work, running to class, all while trying to keep up with people and meetings. I know your snooze button is your favorite button, but try getting up just 15 minutes earlier. With this time, you can grab a bite to eat or organize your schedule for the day, which are both great ways to reduce stress!
  2. Put your phone down during conversations. It is unbelievably frustrating to try to talk to someone who is preoccupied with their phone or who is constantly checking the time. Not only does it signal that you aren’t interested in talking, but it keeps you from enjoying the moment with friends or family. So next time, put your phone down. 
  3. Make a list. This is my personal favorite! My entire life consists of lists of what I have to do next, tomorrow, and five years from now. However, getting to cross things off your list can relieve stress and make you feel like you’ve accomplished more throughout the day. Thus, you may be more inclined to give yourself a break to visit with friends, take a nap, or catch up on your favorite TV show.

I know everyone expects you to move fast and for you to do it well. But it’s okay to slow down and enjoy what you’re doing. It’s okay to not have a definite plan or to reconsider your plans for tomorrow, next week, or ten years from now. That finish line is relative and not everyone is running towards the same thing. You will get there when you get there!