Valentine’s Day Around the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

We have finally arrived to the, sometimes dreaded, candy-heart filled, sweetest, pinkest, day of the year. Whether you are planning on spending it with that special someone or maybe just eating chocolates in bed with a rom-com, I thought it would be interesting to learn a little bit about how Valentine’s Day is celebrated around the world. Who knows, you may even be inspired to spice up your own V-Day plans!

1. Japan

Japanese Valentine’s Day is like no other! Traditionally, women give chocolates to the men closest to their heart. There are two types of chocolate given. “Giri-choco” is meant for friends, or colleagues with no romantic connection. However, “honmei-choco” is given to a husband, boyfriend, or man of your dreams! Now, what’s interesting about this is that in March, Japan celebrates White Day. On this day, the men who received chocolates are expected to give back the women gifts twice as expensive as the women spent on the chocolate. I don’t know about you, but I think this seems like a pretty sweet deal!

2. South Africa

Valentine’s Day in South Africa is filled with energy and passion! Shops and markets open their doors with various flowers, candies and traditional symbols of love. Young girls often participate in the Roman festival of “Lupercalia” in which they pin the name of their lovers or crushes on the shirtsleeves. Men sometimes do this too. Talk about wearing your heart on your sleeve!

3. Denmark

Valentine’s Day in Denmark is more focused on young demographic. One of the most notable traditions is the giving of white flowers called “snowdrops.” Men also usually write poems called “gaekkebrev” where they do not sign their name, and the woman is expected to guess! The picture bellow is a snowdrop, aren’t they pretty?

4. Wales

Wales has their own version of Valentine’s Day, also known as St. Dwynwen’s Day, is celebrated on January 25th. A lot like western Valentine’s Day, but one thing that is different is the giving of love spoons. Traditionally carved by a man as a token of his affection.

Hi, my name is Bridget! I'm a Peace and Conflict Studies major with Philosophy and Asian Studies minors. I love writing about my friends, personal growth, social justice, and of course, all things Bachelor/Bachelorette!
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.