Unhealthy DePauw Habits I Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

With my last first semester of undergrad about to wrap up, I admit, thinking about the real world has left me feeling sentimental about my home for the last three years. Whether it’s participating in the Monon Bell festivities or experiencing the first snowfall, there’s this gnawing sensation in my stomach that tells me I’ve begun my series of “lasts.” It’s hard to admit, but come graduation, I will no longer be able to eat at Casa Grande multiple times a week or indulge in other habits that are…ahem… maybe not so acceptable after college.

1.Watch an entire season of Modern Family in less than a week

Ok. So maybe I’m still a little bit proud of this one, but, deep down, I know that these marathons will eventually have to come to an end. Realistically, I won’t have three hour blocks of free time to catch up with Cameron, Mitchell and the snarky, yet adorable Lily. Sadly, I don’t think my job will include watching Modern Family and after work, paying bills, grocery shopping and going to bed at 10 pm will most likely trump my favorite sitcom. Ahhh to be an alum.

2. Ordering late night (or early morning) Marvin’s.

It’s 12am. You’re still working on that Lit review and you hear your stomach growling. What sounds better than a hot, crispy, cheesy Marvin’s pizza? You can always count on Marvin’s to deliver right to your door… on campus. We all know the slogan “Marvin’s Delivers to (fill in the blank), but my guess is, even if I called begging them to send over my favorite pizza, not even the most dedicated delivery driver would agree to drive more than 10 minutes away from campus. Although my body will thank me a year from now, this is one habit I refuse to break early.

3. Indulging in alcohol on a random weekday

While some bars and restaurants do have happy hour Monday through Friday, for me, the only thing that darkens the hour of drink specials is the reality of having to wake up early for work the next morning. After turning 21, I’ve been able to visit the bars on campus on Wednesdays due to a late afternoon class on Thursday and not have to worry about coming to class the next day hung over. A glass of wine or a beer after work is one thing, but showing up to your desk the next day still drunk? After college I think they call that unresponsible…

4. Shopping…in your friend’s closets

On any given night, I’m usually wearing at least one article of clothing I borrowed from a friend and I’m proud of it. Not only am I less than five minutes away from this outfit, but I am also not required to pull out my debit card. After we receive our diplomas, chances are we won’t all be in exactly the same place, which will leave me with two options: Spend what ever little hard-earned money I have left after paying rent and bills on a new shirt. Who needs food, right? Or—gasp! —wear what I already have.

5. Napping every free minute I can

Some students refer to our school as “The Harvard of the Midwest,” while others live by the mantra “work hard play hard.” Point is, we know we’re working hard over here in Greencastle. Combine daily assignments with extra curricular activities and we’re bound to get a little tired. For the past four years, my afternoon nap has become a concrete addition to my schedule and I like it that way. Thing is, I’m not sure my employer would feel the same—especially when I’m there to you know…work. 

6. Going out and receiving free alcohol almost every time

Let’s all be on the same page about this. Visiting fraternities and receiving free alcohol is not a right. It’s a privilege. A very generous privilege if you ask me. You will never, ever be able to go out to a bar and casually sip on free beers all night without having to pay a single dime. The next time you arrive on Fraternity property, take a second to appreciate the unfortunate credit card statement you will not receive tomorrow morning, because that drink you’re holding, it costs way more come alum status.  

Rose Overbey

DePauw '20