The Ultimate Article of Clothing: Overalls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Traditionally, overalls were worn as protective clothing while working, yet they were first introduced in the British Army in the 1750s to be worn over fancy clothing for protection.  Since the late ’90s, overalls have been worn by both sexes in a casual manner and made in varying styles and fabrics. Overalls are a wonderful part of anyone’s wardrobe because they are comfortable, handy, and durable. The transformability of overalls is also beneficial and allows for use year round. In the summer, throw on a simple crop top or bralette and add a pair of denim overalls to the mix for a breezy outfit. And in the winter, grab that solid colored turtle neck and apply those colored corduroy overalls for extra warmth. For both instances, boots or sandals pair well with overalls, conveniently. The altering styles of overalls allow this article of clothing to be dressed up with a blouse and heels or dressed down with a T-shirt and sneakers. For a more casual look, try letting one strap hang down unbuttoned. This can add to the comfort of the outfit. On the contrary, tighter fitting overalls (similar to the gray overalls below) appear more formal and grant a more “put-together” look, rather than, say, a pair of blue denim overalls. The functionality of overalls can be selected based on the event or occasion; this makes overalls so unique. The fashion of overalls is no longer limited to men working on farms, but has made its way to the public with a grand appearance!

Here are some options varying in functionality, style, and fabric. These options are on the more expensive side because they are manufactured by Urban Outfitters. However, the durable fashion will pay for itself as the overalls last for years upon years. 

Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.