Top Five Rom Coms to Watch During the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Maybe it’s just me, but when the holidays roll around I tend to really crave huge romantic gestures and picture perfect endings. So, what better way to fulfill that than with Netflix’s selection of romantic comedies?

1. 13 Going on 30

Jenna Rink played by Jennifer Garner just wants to fit in and be liked by her crush. Her one true friend is the school dork Matt. During her birthday, Matt gives her a “dream house” and sprinkles magic wish sparkles on it. Jenna loves it until the cool girls show up so she hides the present in the closet. During the party the cool girls trick her into the closet by telling her that her crush is going to kiss her. Unfortunately for her, while she’s waiting in the closet her “friends” steal all of the party food and leave her with nothing. Matt comes looking for her, but she thinks it’s the boy she likes so she tries to kiss him. When Jenna sees that it is Matt she is furious. Jenna wishes that she was no longer 13, but instead 30. Some of Matts magic wish sparkles fall on her and she wakes up, a 30-year-old with her dream job and the perfect man. She soon learns that maybe being 30 years old isn’t all its cracked up to be. This movie really hits home for so many of us. And it has Mark Ruffalo in it so there’s no reason not to see it.

2. While You Were Sleeping

Sandra Bullock plays Lucy Moderatz, a transit worker who every day sees her crush, Peter, from the other side of the ticket booth. He doesn’t even know her name, but this distant crush soon turns into much more when Lucy saves Peter from an oncoming train. However, Peter falls into a coma from the event and in order to see him Lucy tells the doctors and his family that she is his fiancée. While this movie seems strange (and admittedly it kind of is) it is totally funny and will definitely surprise you.

3. Legally Blonde

Kicking butt at one of the best law schools in the nation while looking fabulous is no easy task but Elle Woods, played by Reese Witherspoon, makes it look effortless. At first all she wants is to marry Warren Huntington III but he thinks she’s too much of a blonde. She decides to prove him wrong and gets herself accepted to Harvard to win him back. She is shocked to find that he is actually engaged to another woman. Elle decides that since she’s at Harvard she’s going to make the most of it and be the best law student there is. This movie is such a fantastic and empowering movie. While watching the movie I couldn’t help but think that I wanted to be just like her.

4. Love Actually

This movie follows nine different, but yet intertwined stories of people who are all experiencing and struggling with one common thing: love. Everyone experiences it in one way or another. The victims of this complicated feeling range from the prime minister of Britain to a recently motherless little boy with a crush to an ageing rock star. This movie deals with the bad and good love has to offer. What really hooked me on this movie was that the situations were so human and so realistic. It’s a movie that shows people from all walks of life. It’s people dealing with the frustrating feeling called love during one of the most frustrating times of year: Christmas.

5. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

Andie Anderson, played by Kate Hudson, is an advice columnist and needs a new piece to write about. Inspired by her friends many failed relationships, she decides to try to make a guy break up with her within ten days. Unbeknownst to her, the guy she picks as her target Ben Berry, played by Matthew McConaughey, has made a bet that he can get any girl to fall in with him in ten days. Between couple’s therapy after only seven days of dating, love ferns and a joint adoption of a dog, this movie has everything and is absolutely hilarious.

The movies listed are only a few of the many Netflix has to offer, so go crazy and watch them all.

Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.