Taylor Summers ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
This week’s campus profile is an amazing girl with a serious travel bug: Taylor Summers! In her five semesters at DePauw she has traveled to Dubai, Australia and South Africa. Along with her love for traveling the world, Taylor is a member of Alpha Phi, plays on the lacrosse team and is a psychology major. Her super sweet personality is hard to miss on campus, so let’s get to know her a little better!

Her Campus: Hey, Taylor! Thank you so much for chatting with me today!

Taylor Summers: Hi, Erika! No problem, thank you for asking me to do this interview!

HC: Of course. Tell our readers a little bit about your awesome self.

TS: Oh my goodness, you’re too sweet! I’m a junior (which is crazy to think), a psychology major and I’m from Maryland. I came to DePauw to play lacrosse and get a great liberal arts education. I actually just got back from abroad, where I “peaked,” but it was so surreal and amazing. It is so good to be back at DePauw though! 

HC: That’s awesome! DePauw is glad you’re back. How’s the lacrosse season going?

TS: It’s good! Our first game was strong last Sunday and we played super well. We didn’t know how the first-years would be but they are so great. Our game Wednesday didn’t go too well, but hopefully we’ll pull it together and win this upcoming Saturday. 

HC: I’m sure you guys will get the win! So I know you got back from studying abroad in Australia last semester along with spending winter term in South Africa. I have to say I’m super jealous. What were some of the coolest things you did?

TS: I did some pretty fun stuff! I went on a trip up the east coast of Australia along the beaches, which was super pretty. We also did bungee jumping, scuba diving, white water rafting and typical tourist-y abroad stuff. I also visited my friend Carolyn Jedd, who was abroad in New Zealand, and we went on a road trip! In South Africa I worked in childcare, which was an incredibly humbling experience. Because of it, I feel like I have a better head on my shoulders. 

HC: Wow, every single part of that sounds incredible. So, now that you’re back, what’s your favorite meal to eat at the Hub?

TS: Today’s chicken fingers are probably my favorite. Or their breakfast food, I love the made-to-order omelets. Also just carbs in general (oops!) ha-ha!

HC: Those are all great choices! What are you looking forward to most this semester? 

TS: Probably catching up with old friends and remembering why DePauw is so great. People don’t give Greencastle enough credit. It’s a home away from home! Time has gone by so fast, so enjoy it all. I’m jealous of you being a first-year.

HC: You’re right! I’ll try not to forget. What’s your favorite part about DePauw?

TS:  Hmm. . . I have to say the people I’ve met and solid friendships I’ve made. They will be my bridesmaids and with me my whole life. I’ve grown a lot here and became who I’m supposed to be. I was so shy in high school, but DePauw helped me break out of my shell.  

HC: Gotta love that. And I can’t thank you enough for doing this interview. You rock!

TS: Thank you so much. I feel like I made it ha-ha!
Freshman and DePauw University
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.