Tailgating with the Tigers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Burgers and brats, that first, cool, refreshing sip of your drink, the sun shining down on you and hundreds of your closest friends, and DePauw gear EVERYWHERE.  Could there have been a more perfect start to the beginning of the weekend?

Fall brings about lots of changes; Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks, fall fashion, the return of North Faces, and most importantly, college football. Though there’s nothing quite like the Friday night lights of high school, but college football provides something a little different: tailgates.

The tailgating scene is definitely second to none. Black and gold covered the parking lot, and spirits were amazingly high.  Friendly faces of students, alumni, teachers, and families were accompanied by an endless supply of food and fun. Conversation flowed freely among people with all sorts of connections to DePauw were together in the parking lot right across from Blackstock Stadium.

For years, and at all different schools, tailgating has been known to bring everyone together in support of their team. Here at DePauw it’s no exception.

“It’s such a cool atmosphere,” said Michelle McLane, a first-year at DePauw. “Everyone is just so friendly. All the classes are mixed together so it’s a great place to get to know new people”.

Sophomore Grace Quinn added, “I love to tailgate because it’s a time when we can really show our school spirit and the Greek houses can all interact at once.”

Coming together as a school for the tailgates never fails to create that feeling of family on campus and leads to the making of incredible memories during some of the best years of our lives.

“Even though this is only my first year here at DePauw, already I feel like I am a part of something bigger! Being welcomed into DePauw has been an amazing experience and this [tailgate] proves how lucky I am to go to such a wonderful school,” stated first-year Nicole Gibson.

Tailgating has been a part of the college experience for years. However, it’s the people that truly make tailgates special. No matter if you root for the Tigers or the Hoosiers, your colors are green and white or yellow and blue, everyone can agree that there is no better feeling than that of coming together with your university to show your school spirit. Tailgates are where memories are made, and no matter whom you root for, will always be something to smile back on.

I am a DePauw student from Wheaton, IL. I am involved with the Poms team, Student Government, many other volunteer activities, and of course Her Campus magazine!
Rose Overbey

DePauw '20