Sweater Weather: Tailgate Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Unfortunately, Saturday mornings spent at the Blackstock parking lot in chucks, jean shorts and your favorite comfort colors tank, are long gone for the season.  Leaving summer behind doesn’t have to mean pulling out the parka and tossing style out the window.  Cool weather tailgating does require a little extra planning so you’re not caught shivering, sweating and uncomfortable! Follow this head to toe guide and you’ll be ready to cheer on our DePauw Tigers!

Keep your toes dry, clean and cozy! Shoes with rubber soles are perfect for tailgating!  If the weather is fair, Chucks are always a classic choice.  When it is colder, boots such as L.L.Bean, Bean Boots or Hunter willies are great, and not to mention, oh-so-college. Unlike fully leather or synthetic boots, these lovelies will keep your toes dry in the rain and are super easy to clean if something happens to be spilled on them!  And, those awesome wool socks you wear around your dorm room on movie night? Throw a pair on underneath for extra warmth!

The jeans vs. leggings debate:  There is no one with more love for her Lulus than me, but I believe leggings are better saved for long nights at the library, 8 am classes and Sunday afternoon yoga.  No matter how early you got up for kegs and eggs, jeans will give you a more put together look and keep you warmer.  Ugh, it is extra windy and extra cold.  Pull on a pair of thinner leggings under your jeans.  I know, I know, throwback to being five years old, but it is hardly noticeable, and way worth it to avoid the shivers!  

Love for layers:  The morning weather changes fast, so layers are generally the smartest option.  What you decide to layer is totally up to your own personal style. For me, vests are always my first go to.  Quilted and fuzzy vests are not only a major style trend again this year but will keep your core warm and have pockets to stick your hands. Vests also go great with most sweaters, sweatshirts and long sleeves!  Just make sure to pick something thick enough to block the wind or layer! Spirit jerseys are great because they are baggy so you can wear something underneath to keep the heat in and no one will ever know!

And all that Jazz: Separate your style and personality from all the other girls and show your Tiger pride by adding accessories! Little extras can be both cute, spirited and functional! Wearing a pair of mittens is my personal favorite, but maybe throw on a baseball hat, sport your sunnies, wrap up in a scarf or strap on a fanny pack. 

Insider Tip: Hand warmers, bring them.