This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Catching a movie at Ashley Square Cinema is one of my favorite things to do on campus. The movies are free, the atmosphere is cozy, and the snacks are cheap! Although Ashley Square Cinema only has two screens, the movies that they do have are usually the newest and most popular. I am a huge fan of The Maze Runner book series by James Dashner, so I was especially excited to see that the theatre would be playing The Scorch Trials.

A couple of friends and I headed over to Ashley Square early Friday evening to snag seats. After getting some popcorn we sat down, ready for an intense movie! Neither of my friends have read the book series so they just couldn’t understand why I remained confused throughout.  I have to admit, the plot of The Scorch Trials book is a little foggy for me, but I still knew the movie was going in a completely different direction.

After their rescue, Thomas and the other Gladers are immediately placed under WICKED supervision in the movie. N the book, I recall the Gladers being more isolated and after some investigation, they find out their rescuers have been killed. In the book, the group is also convinced that they have all been infected with the Flare.  Was really shocked by Winston’s self inflicted death, plus Wes Ball cut out the metal goo scene which was one of my favorite parts of Dashner’s book. I did love the scene with Jorge’s explosion, but it came completely out of left field. And what is up with Theresa and Thomas? In the book they are so close that they can even communicate telepathically, but in the movie Theresa comes off as just one of the guys. The whole movie I was waiting for Theresa’s big betrayal along with the rivalry between groups A and B, only to be let down by Theresa’s actions at the very end of the film. I was by far most surprised by the addition of the character Mary Cooper. Her back story is super interesting, but who is she??

Despite the differences I did really enjoy the movie. Although I expected the plot to stay pretty consistent, I tried my best to appreciate the movie in spite of the changes. I would recommend seeing The Scorch Trials, but be wary if you have already read the books!

Depauw '17 I'm from Dublin, Oh and I write for the style blog :)