Sorority Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Rush. It’s a fitting name if you think about it, and I’m sure onlookers of DePauw’s 2011 Bid Day would agree. Storming the streets, swarms of freshman girls sprinted out of the Hub and ran zigzags around campus to locate their sorority house. Literally rushing, eachgirl pumped her legs as fast as possible, not wanting to be the last one to arrive at her final destination. A myriad of questions filled the freshmen’s minds: Will I get there in time? Who else made it into my sorority? What sorority did so-and-so end up in? Will my sisters be happy to see me? Such thoughts disappeared upon their arrival, however; new members were enveloped in a mob of hugs and shrieks, and immediately ushered into their new homes. Even inside, all of the new member’s heads continued to spin from excitement until . . . Bid Day was over. Kaput. How could it be? They thought. Was the whirlwind of Rush really over?

We can all agree that rush— especially Bid Day— is one of the most exciting moments of our entire college career. To DePauw’s Greek students, Bid Day is extremely significant, as it marks the start of a new family/ support system that will last long past graduation. Unfortunately, the whirlwind of rush tends to get to us (I know it got to me). We get caught up in the excitement of it all, and when we finally have the chance to breathe . . . it’s too late. We can’t go back in time to sit, observe, and cherish the special moments that happened on Bid Day.

Thankfully, we have Facebook. Her Campus wants to take you down memory lane, so we’ve selected the best snapshots of Bid Day 2011. Whether you’re a freshman or upperclassman, we hope that these pictures will help you remember the initial excitement of joining a sorority and meeting your new sisters. So, get ready to grin; the new members’ smiles are pretty contagious!

Kappa Kappa Gamma

-Courtesy of Lauren Leipprandt’s Facebook page

Caption: The 38 future Kappa Kappa Gamma girls strike a pose on the house stairs.

Girls Pictured:
Megan Agnew
Eleanor Axt
Giuliana Barraza
Clara Becker
Ariana Borrello
Anna Butz
Ashley Conard
Noelle Cress
Chelsea Cutler
Rachel Dauenbaugh
Jennifer Dickman
Paige Drake
Amanda Feller
Gen Flynn
Amber Franklin
Lanie Gleeson
Hannah Harrison
Lauren Keeley
Alecia Kubicki
Megan Landahl
Maddie Lee
Elise Lockwood
Alley Lydon
Janelle Lyons
Shannon Mahoney
Kristina Mulry
Elleka Okerstrom
Torey Polak
Paige Sandgren
Roaqui’ Smith
Jacquelyn Stephens
Holly Tipp
Amanda Troyer
Camille Veri
Maddi Vering
Becca Wojno
Phua Xiong
Claire Zingraf

Here’s what freshman Chelsea Cutler has to say about her new sorority: “I’m excited because everyone in the house is so diverse, and I’m excited to get to know everyone and their interests.”

Pi Beta Phi

-Courtesy of Cady Gottlieb’s Facebook page

Caption: Pi Phi makes these freshmen new members smile
Girls Pictured:
Katie Meyer, Alex Butler, Marcelle Forsyth, Sally Leaf, Eli Cangany, Clarke Brennan, and Sunny Strader

Here’s what freshman Taylor Helms has to say about her new sorority: “I chose Pi Phi because I really like the girls and they seem to have good values.”

Alpha Phi

-Courtesy of Christine Webster’s Facebook page

Caption: These Phi bears are proud to carry their letters!

Girls Pictured:
Christine Webster, Siri Retrum, Frances Jones, Jillian Balser, Emily Curnow, and Erica Tucker

Here’s what freshman Caitlin Ludlow has to say about her new sorority: “I chose Alpha Phi because I knew I could be myself and feel comfortable.”

Alpha Chi Omega

-Courtesy of Rae Winters’s Facebook page

Caption: These pledges have already mastered their sorority’s hand sign!

Girls Pictured:
Caitie Adams
Mary Arnold
Maria Balboa Alvarez
Emily Barnash
Kelsey Binion
Kelly Blair
Caitlin Cleary
Rebekah Coble
Beth Conley
Mackenzie Cremeans
Sophia Da Silveira
Morgan Davenport
Abby Emmert
Jen Evans
Hope Gomez
Paige Gooch
Heather Grandprey
Mariah Hersom
Kathleen Kay
Laura Kooiman
Shelsea Marcel
Teresa Mazzini
Meredith Menzel
Maritza Mestre
Clare Monhart
Laura Neel
Casey Nesius
Allison Orjala
Marissa Pinto
Abby Prine
Megan Schuman
Erin Sheek
Katie Sherrill
Carly Tebelman
Anna Urso
Stephanie Wethington
Meixue Xu

Here’s what freshman Mary Arnold has to say about her new sorority: “The Alpha Chi girls are genuine and at the same time their extraordinary personalities bring out the best in all of us. Alpha Chi sorority not only makes me feel at home but it also has all the potential to build me into a stronger woman leader.”

Kappa Alpha Theta

-Courtesy of Sarah Edwards’s Facebook page

Caption: These girls are happy to call themselves Thetas!

Girls Pictured:
Sarah Edwards, Anne Marie Albachiara, Hanna DeLucio, and Caitlin Hickey

Here’s what freshman Kimmie Klee has to say about her new sorority: “What I like about my sorority is that even though a lot of girls came in knowing each other, everyone has made an effort to know each other. We’ve all bonded quickly.”

Delta Gamma (39)

-Courtesy of Berkley Frost’s Facebook page

Caption: The DG girls are pretty in pink!

Girls Pictured:
Shelby Beasley
Brittney Biddle
Alissa Britigan
Izzy Capasso
Megan Carter
Melissa Cobb
Cristina De Anda
Lejia Dong
Amber Ellinger
Maggie Eppelheimer
Jazmine Floyd
Casey Fougerousse
Kayla Hill
Sarah House
Erin Komornik
Maddie LeClair
Maddie Lovell
Lisa Maurer
Nat Meng
Hannah Miner
Bre Moore
Lisa Morita
Chelsea Mucha
Ellen Murfey
Christina Oberrieder
Kristin Otto
Lauren Perkins
Alicia Petrone
Sally Qiu
Meredith Reed
Jona Ren
Katie Richards
Natalie Rosen
Ashley Rosenfeld
Lauren Salay
Ann Sarkisian
Katherine Shover
Anna Steinbart
Kristen Ysseldyke

– All pledge class listings courtesy of “The DePauw” newspaper

Here’s what freshman Melissa Cobb has to say about her new sorority: “I’m really excited about the sisterhood and living in the house, and being a part of Greek life.”

So what do you have to say about your sorority? Be sure to leave us a comment, sharing your best Bid Day memory or reasons why you love your sorority!

Jessica Pawlarczyk is a junior at Vanderbilt University where she is majoring in Sociology and Spanish. Besides Her Campus, Jessica is involved in newspaper, APO service fraternity, math tutoring and youth mentoring. She enjoys playing tennis, reading Jodi Picoult novels and finding new "pins" for her Pinterest page in her spare time. Jessica is incredibly excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!
Leanne Schaub is a senior at DePauw University, class of 2011, where she is majoring in Communication with a minor in Psychology. She is originally from the beautiful town of Leland, located in northern Michigan. Leanne is the President of the Gamma chapter of Alpha Phi and is a Speaking and Listening Center Consultant. On those rare occasions when she is not busy with academics or extracurricular activities, she loves dancing, catching up with family and friends, watching classic movies, being creative, cooking, and organizing.