Second Hand not Second Rate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

For the longest time I had this idea that every DePauw girl was loaded and inherently blessed with great fashion sense and the access to designer clothing at her finger tips.  Finally, as a junior, I’ve come to realize that this is not the case after all. We’re all college students, and even if you’ve been blessed with fashion sense you still have a tuition weaseling it’s way into your pockets. Learn how to save where you can, yet still look like a million bucks.

Junior Abby Balbach estimated that nearly 50% of her wardrobe is made up of second hand clothing.  She stands confidently in a $4 floral print skirt and a $6 bohemian sweater, purchased at Plato’s closet. Plato’s closet is the perfect store for women seeking out great deals that still maintain an up to date feel and need little alterations. Abby’s advice to anyone looking to buy second hand is that, “You can’t go in looking for something specific because you’re never going to find it.”  When you shop second hand, be open to the possibilities of each piece. 

Sam March, a junior, says that when she steps into Goodwill, or any other thrift store, she immediately goes to the dresses.  In this photo, Sam shows off one of her many fabulous finds from the dress aisle. She was attracted to the funky pattern of the fabric and made it work by only shortening its hem. Remember, ladies, dresses are your best bet because they are easily alterable, no matter what your sewing experience.  If it’s a bit too long, hack it off and stitch a hem; if it’s a bit too big, add a belt, call it bohemian, and your set!

Chrissy Crowe, a freshman, shows off her favorite second hand item, a pair of cowboy boots.  The boots were meant to fulfill the final touch on a hoe down costume, but proved to be the perfect boots for daily wear.  Chrissy isn’t a regular second hand shopper, but when she was in need of a cheap and stylish solution, Goodwill pulled through in the clutch.

If you’ve seen this red headed beauty around campus, you’ve most likely seen this rich leather bag with her. Senior Laura Durham is the proud owner of a nine-dollar backpack that has proven it’s worth way beyond its price. 

Remember ladies, being stylish doesn’t always mean wearing the newest clothes or designer items, it’s about being creative, daring, and seeing the potential in every piece, and not to mention saving some dough in the process!

Leanne Schaub is a senior at DePauw University, class of 2011, where she is majoring in Communication with a minor in Psychology. She is originally from the beautiful town of Leland, located in northern Michigan. Leanne is the President of the Gamma chapter of Alpha Phi and is a Speaking and Listening Center Consultant. On those rare occasions when she is not busy with academics or extracurricular activities, she loves dancing, catching up with family and friends, watching classic movies, being creative, cooking, and organizing.