Rico Lumanlan ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

This was my first time meeting Rico, whose first impression was already at a good start as he came dressed in a light green button down shirt. Within moments after he extended his hand to shake mine I knew he would be a total sweetie. With a sincere passion for music and what seems like a kind heart it is no wonder he is this week’s Campus Cutie!

Her Campus: So Rico, tell us a little about yourself.

Rico Lumanlan: So I am a sophomore, Computer Science major, undecided on a minor. Let’s see, I am a Phi Delt, a tennis player… [pause] ah, what else is there… and I DJ on occasion.

HC: Oh, you DJ? Very Cool!

RL: Yeah I DJ’ed for Little 5 but the weather was so bad…no one really came.

HC: Ah, yes it was kind of snowing.

RL: Yeah it was snowing, so….

HC: Didn’t really work out very well.

RL: Yeah, not at all. But there were a couple people like some friends and some random people so that was cool!

HC: So you mentioned you were a Phi Delt?

RL: Yes.

HC: Do you live in the house?

RL: Yes and I love it.

HC: What’s your favorite part about living in?

RL: It’s kind of nice to just host people and just get to meet a bunch of different people. It’s kind of entertaining. And a lot of people come to my room; apparently it’s one of the best or better lounges. ‘Cause we got a nice little L couch going and we always have music going on so it attracts a lot of people even though it’s on the third floor. Ha, somehow we managed to have a 30 person party in a room one time, it was nuts!

HC: What do you love most about DePauw in general?

RL: I do like that it’s a small campus. I know a lot of people don’t like that, because you can’t necessarily go around meeting new people everyday but every once and while you’ll meet someone that you haven’t met before and I don’t know it’s kind of a cool feeling. You’ve met someone that’s been there the entire time but you didn’t know they existed.

HC: So where is the first place someone would think to look for you on DePauw’s campus?

RL: To look for me?

HC: Yeah, like if someone was to go, “where’s Rico…hmm let me think?” Where would they go?

RL: Probably my room. That makes me sound so introverted, ha! I don’t know it’s a nice place to hang out even though I have people over a lot. I love music so just having music going on in a place where I can be alone is kind of cool. And…mmmm… maybe the tennis court or something like that, sounds generic but, (laughs).

HC: Do you have a favorite little hiding spot on campus? Like if your room were too busy where would you go? 

RL: I love the nature park, yeah especially the reflection center. There is the screen door area where there are just screens all around you and you can just look at the nature park. It’s really, really relaxing. Even in the park itself, like the limestone quarry.

HC: Oh, those are gorgeous! Love to go there.

RL: Yeah, they’re the best.

HC: So you mentioned you love music, if I was to take a gander at your iPod or your iPhone what would be playing?

RL: A lot of EDM (electronic dance music). If you didn’t get that from the whole DJing thing, that’s what I’m into. Um, that, and I like Andrew Bird, if you’ve ever heard of him? He’s someone that you would have to listen to. He actually went to high school in Lake Forrest in Chicago, where a lot of people here went and he’s just really talented. He sings, plays the violin, guitar, whistles if you didn’t know whistling could be an instrument. He’s really cool. You should check it out sometime.

HC: Do you just like listening to music or do you also play an instrument?

RL: I produce electronic music a little bit. I was taught a little bit of piano for 6 months but I was 12 so…

HC:  Yeah at that age you’re like “mom c’mon!”

RL: Exactly. I love any kind of music though, I listen to anything…except for country, I don’t mean to offend any girl out there who likes country… if you do I’m sorry! But, yeah.

HC:  So, being Campus Cutie I have to ask, what would you consider to be your perfect girl?

RL: I like someone who is really down to earth, someone who likes adventure…if that doesn’t sound corny. Someone who likes to just do things spontaneously, just come up with an idea and is just like let’s do it!  Even just someone whose fun to sit down and talk to, not necessarily just to mess around with just someone you can spend time alone with and just hang out. Obviously has to have a sense of humor, someone who loves music that’s definitely a plus, ha it’s like my favorite thing even though I play a sport.

HC:  So what’s the most spontaneous or creative date you’ve taken a girl on or would take a girl on in Greencastle?

RL: (After taking a moment to think) I would probably take her to the nature park first. Do something relaxing a little bit more intimate. And then go probably take her downtown Indy. Feel the whole, from nature to big city, that contrast. It’s an adventure really, in my opinion. Just get to know each other.

HC: How would you approach a lady at a party?

RL: Um, I don’t know. Sometimes the corny lines are really funny and if you can get a girl laughing right away I think that’s a good start. But, I don’t like to put on some weird persona. If they’re in my room I would ask what they wanted to listen to. Ha, it all goes back to that in the end I think.

HC: What would you consider your quirkiest attribute?

RL: I’ve been told I’m funny face guy…it was from last year…

HC: Do you just make funny faces or something?

RL: I don’t know I don’t want to be funny face guy , but they call me that! But, I’ve just been told I’m a quirky person…I’ve never really asked why.

HC: (Laughing) you do have the one eyebrow lift going on.

RL: Yeah…I guess the eyebrow raise is pretty quirky.

HC: I think we found your hidden talent…the eyebrow raise!

RL: Sweet! Ha, but seriously though.

HC: So do you have a campus crush?

RL: Still searching. She’s out there. I know she’s out there. I’ll found you!

HC: Well, thank you so much Rico, any last words for our readers?

RL: Hit me up. (Laughs).