clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Realizing This Is Your Last Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

The steady downhill spiral of college is reaching its climax, second semester senior year. Dear god. If anyone else is in the same boat as I am, I promise it is not going to be okay. At the beginning of the school year I was fully prepared to get a job, put in the work to get said job and most importantly stay away from all activities that could distract me from my path to greatness. Now guess what really happened. Nothing I set out to do actually happened. What a surprise.

However, this wasn’t the end of my world. With realizing I was in my last year of college, it really occurred to me that this was MY LAST YEAR OF COLLEGE. It wasn’t the “lightbulb going off in your head” type of realization, but fairly close. If this isn’t a relatable statement you’re obviously not in this stage of life yet, but you’ll get there. Sure, I could have lived in the library completely overwhelmed by approaching midterms, finals and the impending doom of life; but I didn’t. I found that making lasting memories with my friends and connecting with my family were more important to my growth. Yes even seniors in college don’t have their lives figured out yet. I knew that the people I surround myself with will be in my life for years to come, and I wanted to spend my last “year of fun” with them. Anyways, who wouldn’t want to stay out late, talk about everything that comes to mind and drink your body weight in alcohol?

As a second semester senior and basically not doing anything I set my goals to do, I am a little lot behind. This could be catastrophic for some people, but I am trying my best to stay level headed. I know when this semester is over I will find my place. I think I am a catch, and I know one of the hundreds of companies I am going to apply to will realize this. If they don’t, well, guess it’s their loss. I am not going to wallow in self-pity that I didn’t do exactly what needed to be done, because I saw what I really wanted to accomplish in my senior year. Of course, I will continue to congratulate everyone that has their life figured out, in fact I will even buy them a drink from the last couple dollars in my savings.

Each and every person has a different path and life they will lead. I decided that this year was going to be a year of connecting and being with my friends. These are the people that are important to me, that I can see at my wedding (how ironic) and who I know may not always be there like another job will. Going off the cliché saying: life is short.  Surprise, life is actually very short. This last semester is almost over and I feel like it barely began. I want to do what makes me happy, and that’s exactly what I am attempting.

Northern California Native and Boba Connoisseur. Communications Major, English Literature Minor at DePauw University '17. Current Director of Social Media for D3TV, DePauw's Student Run Television Network
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.