Perrin Duncan ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

This week I sat down with my good friend, Perrin Duncan! Perrin is a junior double majoring in Studio Art and Economics with a Spanish minor. She is a on the executive board of DePauw Student Government, proud sister in Alpha Phi and overall a social butterfly.

Her Campus: Perrin! How’s life??

Campus Cutie: It’s really great! Just livin’ it up!

HC: How is your junior year going thus far?

CC: The semester has gotten off to a great start. It’s been really awesome but has also been the busiest semester I’ve ever had. I’m happy with all of my classes and really excited about everything I’m involved in. I think the campus is in a really good place right now.

HC: I agree! The construction is going up fast! Okay so you’re a fairly busy lady, what all are you involved with on campus?

CC: I am Vice President of Membership Recruitment for Alpha Phi, the Vice President of Academic Life for DePauw Student Government, a Peer Mentor for the First-Year mentor program, an Admissions Ambassador, serving on the Presidential Search Committee for DePauw’s 20th President, on the Student Philanthropy Council, a Student Friend at Greencastle Middle School, a Global Partner, and a contestant on the DePauw Bachelor this year!

HC: Wow! How do you juggle all of your organizations, studying and socializing?

CC: (Laughs) Well, I really don’t have a ton of time; I’m always doing something. Time management is something I learned how to do freshman year. On a daily basis, I have about 5 different meetings that I need to attend, so handling that and classwork and socializing – which is also very important – can be hard sometimes. Although, I feel like in college you can have those days that start at 7am and don’t end until 2am because we are at a time in our lives where you need to figure out what you like and what you’re passionate about. I do think it’s important to take a step back sometimes and hang out with friends, go to the Nature Park, dance, and make some time to care about yourself!

HC: I agree completely! Now, where do you live on campus?

CC: I live on 502 Indiana Street. It’s a little bungalow of a house and I live with 9 other girls, 7 of them are in my pledge class and we have 2 other awesome independent girls living with us. I really love living there! I have a lot of freedom and it’s such a positive environment!

HC: I’ve been there once or twice, you guys sure have cozied the place up! I know your sister, Emma, is a freshman this year. How do you like going to school together again?

CC: It has been so wonderful having Emma here! We’ve always been super close – we are a tight-knit family. Our other sibling, James, is a senior at Harvard, and I honestly think he’s jealous that Emma and I get this time together. We wish that he could be here too! It’s special to experience college with my family because both of our parents also went to DePauw. It’s cool seeing Emma get excited about academics and social life and involvement at DePauw just like I did my freshman year. I also am so happy to see that she is finding her own place here and isn’t necessarily just MY little sister.

HC: That’s awesome; I wish my sister went to school with me. So, Alpha Phi had a formal a few weekends ago… Who is the lucky man that gets to accompany you?

CC: (Laughs) Oh my goodness, the lucky man is one of my good friends, Diego Herrera. He always seems to be my dance partner at ATO, so I thought he’d make a great date! He’s a good twirler!

HC: Am I seeing a love connection in the near future?!

CC: (Laughs) I am not sure what that entails. Right now I’m enjoying the single life.

HC: If a fella on campus is looking for a beautiful, intelligent, involved, charismatic lady, where might he find her on an average day at DePauw?

CC: Oh gosh, you are too kind, Caroline. Really there is no telling. They just gotta keep their eyes open. Whenever I have free time, I like to sit on east college lawn when it’s nice out, but I can also be found studying at Julian, at the Lilly center, on a long bike ride around Greencastle with my girlfriends, or spending hours in the painting studio at Peeler. I can be found really anywhere on campus, except Roy—the library is a little too depressing for my taste.

HC: Well he better be on the lookout, you seem like a hard girl to find! Thanks so much Perrin, hope formal goes well!

CC: Thank you Caroline! I know it will be a great time! It’s been great catching up.