This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

While the weather in Greencastle has yet to make up its mind, spring is here and summer is coming!  These months are for pushing all your heavier clothes to the back of your closet and making space for some fresh new color. Pastels are perfect for late spring and early summer affairs.  The soft colors are sweet and young.  Here are a few do’s and don’ts for spring and summer wear.

Do’s: 

1. Wear pastels with a nude shoe.  Keep the color scheme soft across your whole body.  Dark shoes will dampen the fresh pop of color. 
  2. Wear pastels in your accessories.  Necklaces and earrings with a hint of color are a classy addition to any style basic, such as a t-shirt dress or light spring sweater.
  3. Wear pastels with white (after memorial day of course). White pairs wonderfully with most pastels.  Try a light linen pop-over with white denim and you’ll be set for everything from a shopping day with mom to happy hour with the girls. 

Don’ts:

1. Be careful layering too many pastel pieces.  Pastels are pretty by themselves and generally work in pairs, but adding too much color in one ensemble can be overwhelming.
  2. Avoid mixing black and pastels.  If you’re looking to wear something a little darker, navy generally makes for a better color combo.
  3. Watch out for chunky jewelry.  Pastels work best with daintier accessories, such as a small pendant or strand of pearls.  Something small will keep the look fresh and sweet versus over-done.

Throw on one of your favorite pastel pieces and go soak up that warm Spring sun, collegiettes!