A Passionate Take on Communication and the World of Journalism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

This week I got the chance to interview Bryttni Carpenter, a sophomore at DePauw. She is from Toledo, Ohio, and is a communication major and possible double minor in sociology and political science. I asked her a few questions about her involvement at DePauw and her interest in journalism.

HerCampus: What made you choose DePauw?

Bryttni Carpenter: I chose DePauw because of the Media Fellows program and because I loved how excited everyone was on campus. I remember coming for my interview and everyone was really happy about their school, which was something that I wanted.

HC: What extracurriculars are you involved in at DePauw?

BC: Again, I’m a Media Fellow. I am also involved with The DePauw as the sports editor this semester. I also do weekly newscasts with WGRE; catch me on air every Wednesday at 2pm to know what’s going on in the world. I am also a member of Alpha Chi Omega. This semester. I am looking at getting involved with more volunteering on campus so I’m joining Alpha Phi Omega, and I volunteer with Tots Time on Tuesday mornings.

HC: What made you interested in writing for The DePauw?

BC: Coming into college I wanted to actually do stuff for D3TV, but I got an email about The DePauw so I took a chance, and now four semesters later I am the sports editor. I spent my freshman year writing and then became news editor last semester. I honestly couldn’t tell you a specific reason that I joined other than I wanted to take a risk, and I guess it paid off.

HC: What made you want to be the sports editor?

BC: I’ve always been interested in news, which is why I was news editor, but I wanted to try something new and sports is always something that I’ve been interested in, so I applied for sports editor. Now I get to indulge in my love for sports and news and combine them all.

HC: What is one tip that you have for students who wish to hold an editor position with the newspaper?

BC: Honestly we always need writers, so come write for a semester and then apply. The staff is so small, and there aren’t that many people that apply for editor positions, so if you show good work ethic and enjoy being on staff, you’re likely to get the position.

HC: What is your favorite story that you have written?

BC: I just recently wrote an article about female athletes and their relationships with male coaches. I thought it would be an interesting relationship to explore because the experiences people have are vastly different. I also really enjoyed writing my story about the taper process that swimmers go through. I wrote it earlier this year and I think a lot of people enjoyed reading it, but that’s only what I heard.

HC: Do you hope to do something with journalism in the future?

BC: I’m not really sure what I want to do in the future anymore. If you asked me this question two years ago, I would have told you my dream job would be to work for a morning news desk like CBS This Morning or Good Morning America. Now I am interested in sports and would love to work in social media for a sports team. The dream job would be to work for the Detroit Tigers as a press box reporter and update their games on social media. I would also be interested in working as their social media director. We’ll see where the next few years take me. 

HC: What are your plans for the summer?

BC: That’s a good question. I don’t really know what I’m going to do yet. I applied for a press box internship with the Toledo Mud Hens and I haven’t heard back from them yet. I also applied to be a camp counselor for the summer and work with kids teaching them lacrosse for seven weeks. If nothing ends up working out, I’ll find a job and work my way through the summer and prepare myself for my fall internship.

Check out Bryttni’s most recent article with The DePauw here.