Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

DePauw News

How to Avoid a Bummer Summer

By Grace Goodbarn
April 15, 2013 - 8:00am

It’s that time of year again, the weather is warm, and everyone on campus seems to be outside. Thoughts turn from spring break plans to summer activity ideas and like any sane college student you want to avoid being stuck at home doing nothing all summer. Sure you get all your meals for free and maybe if your lucky your laundry done for you but hanging around with your parents all summer just doesn’t seem ideal. Instead, here are some ideas for a better way to spend your summer. Get an Internship! READ MORE

The Final Stretch

By Erin Cathleen Mann
April 11, 2013 - 8:00am

READ MORE

The Look for Less

By Ellaree Marie Swim
April 9, 2013 - 9:14pm

Every girl on campus wants to have all eyes on her at spring formal. However, finding the perfect dress can be a bit of a challenge in Greencastle, Indiana. The problem is that there are no dress shops within an hour of campus, designer dresses are too expensive for a college budget, and you've probably already raided your friends’ closets and worn all of their dresses. The solutions are: Buying a cheap new dress online, restyling a dress you already own, or renting from Rent the Runway. Get the look for less online: READ MORE

Editors Take a Break

By Hailey Ware
April 9, 2013 - 8:08am

See what a few of our editors did to relax over their Spring Breaks! READ MORE

Spring into Warm Weather Beauty

By Becca Wojno
April 9, 2013 - 8:00am

Spring break has come and gone, which means one thing; spring is officially here, even if the weather doesn’t say so. At least it is less than an arms length away. That being said, we should all do ourselves a favor and shed the heavy layers, winter blues and dry skin. Say goodbye to fluorescent lights and hello to the natural sunlight, all while looking refreshed and naturally gorgeous. Read on for how to achieve a spring glow. 1. Trade Formulas READ MORE

Wacky Jacks Anyone?

By Amelia Marvel
April 4, 2013 - 12:03pm

While my last blog discussed the pleasure of snacking, this week I decided to take a look at something a bit healthier and more active…working out! Lets face it, you have probably read about this subject 34534 times, but DePauw’s campus offers such a wide variety of workout options that the subject was hard to pass up. Plus, the good news is that there is a form of exercise on campus for everybody. READ MORE

The Skinny on Being Too Skinny

By Abby Kosling
April 3, 2013 - 12:30pm

There is a lot of pressure on DePauw’s campus for women to fit into the preppy and beautiful stereotype. As classes let out, you may see many outfits straight out of the pages of a J.Crew catalogue. This pressure to dress the part leads to the pressure to fit the part—to literally fit into a size 2. Unfortunately, this emphasis on body image didn’t start at DePauw and probably won’t end here, but it is something all women should be aware of and be able to talk about. Anorexia is a deep psychological disorder in which a patient is so drawn into the lure of being skinny, that they fear being helped for the fear of being forced to gain weight. READ MORE

Music and Daydreaming: Why You Should Let Your Mind Wander

By Margaux Fleschler
April 1, 2013 - 9:20pm

We all do it: put on that Ke$ha song when we’re getting ready to go out, Jack Johnson when we’re studying, and maybe even some Adele when we’re feeling a little down. It seems natural; our state of mind craves a melody with which it identifies. But, can we use this connection to our advantage? Absolutely! Here’s how: READ MORE

There Ain’t No Such Thing As Free Equality

By Grace Goodbarn
March 21, 2013 - 8:00am

Hey, it’s Women’s History Month! Didn’t know that? Not that surprising. The only way I found out was the posters advertising it in the bulletin board in my dorm building. But, why is that? Why do things such as Black History and Women’s History go by so unnoticed? These are important months to celebrate the history and stories of African American and women’s rights leaders, and how they changed the course of each race or sexes’ history. Why should we pay attention to women’s history month? READ MORE

On the Road Again

By Hailey Ware
March 20, 2013 - 8:00am

Spring break is just around the corner and it sounds like a lot of people are road trippin’ it to Florida or back home! Road trips can be fun, but also long and tiring! Some useful tips could definitely make for a better 15+ hour trek across the country.  READ MORE