Motivation: Get It Back Before Finals!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

As the semester is quickly coming to an end it is very normal to feel super unmotivated. You know the feeling: the “I don’t wanna wear pants and only watch Netflix all day” feeling. It’s more than normal, but not helpful whatsoever when the finish line is so close. This is the time of the semester to kick ourselves into full gear and finish strong. After all, we know that with a little work we can show our GPA who’s boss. However, really killing our last weeks of school can be easier said than done, because the motivation tank is looking emptier every day. So once we’ve realized that we are dragging our feet everywhere we go, it’s time to snap out of it and get our mojo back! Here are some of my tips to get your groove back on and finish this school year stronger than ever.

1) Discover a new study spot

It can be easy to become bored and sluggish if you are always in the same environment. Regaining motivation is all about shaking things up, so take this opportunity to find a brand-new study spot. There are so many nooks and crannies around campus that are perfect for getting work done, and they can help you feel reenergized.

2) Do some exercise

Doing exercise is great, because it makes you feel physically and mentally better. When I do any kind of exercise I feel more mental clarity, which can help me be more productive. I recommend going for walks in the nature park, doing some yoga through a YouTube video (I love the YouTube channel “Yoga with Adriene”) or lifting some weights. All these activities will help you feel empowered to finish off the semester strong and you will be working on your summer body at the same time (bonus!)

3) Get outside

Now that the weather is finally getting nice, it’s the perfect opportunity to spend some time outside. I recommend laying a blanket on the grass and spending an afternoon reading and listening to music. Being in the fresh air and under the sun will help uplift your mood and make it more likely that you will want to be productive.

4) Start your day early

When you wake up late, it can then take you about an hour to get out the door and start your day. By this time, it might already be lunch time and you have gotten nothing done. Waking up early and starting to be productive right away will help you feel like you are able to accomplish more during one day. Being proud of yourself and all that you are able to get done in one day will have a great impact on how motivated you are able to be the rest of the week.

5) Meditate

I rely on meditation to destress and let go of any anxiety that may be hindering my ability to be motivated. Meditation is a great tool, because it takes up a really small amount of time. Whenever I want to do some meditation, I look up “ten minute guided meditation” on YouTube. There are a variety of guided meditation videos that can help you relax and help you learn how to be able to eventually meditate on your own.

6) Make a list of priorities

This trick is really great when you feel like you have too much to do, become overwhelmed and as a result feel paralyzed to tackle anything. What I do when this inevitably happens is make a list of my priorities. I write them down in order of most important, or closest deadline to least important or furthest deadline, and I use this as a roadmap to begin my work. Many times, when there’s a lack of motivation, the most important thing is to just start. Recognizing your priorities will help you get rolling; once you tackle one item on the list, you can easily move on to the next.

7) Clean your room

This tip goes hand in hand with the tip about finding a new study space, because it highlights the importance of your environment for your motivation and productivity. Spend 15-30 minutes cleaning and organizing your room. You can do this while listening to your favorite music to make it feel like less of a chore. Make your room into a place that matches your personality and spirit. This will go a long way to keep you motivated, because the space that is meant to be your home on campus will actively serve to uplift you.

8) Break your routine

If you are really stuck and unmotivated, this can be due to lack of excitement in your regular routine. It can be helpful to step outside of your routine completely for a day or two. After, if you find that you’re still unhappy with your previous routine, you can design a new routine that will help you achieve your goals better.

9) Do one of your hobbies

Part of having lasting motivation is being happy with your everyday life. While things like going to class and doing homework don’t really work towards making you feel happy, they’re the most important part of being a student. So it’s really important to find time to do the things that nourish your spirit and bring you joy. You can buy an adult coloring book, practice playing a new instrument, journal or learn how to knit. Doing one of your hobbies will help you be much more motivated than watching Netflix or just being on your phone.

Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.