The Many Faces of Andrew Luck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

I’m fortunate enough to hold an amazing position at DePauw’s radio station, WGRE FM, as one of the News Directors. This position has given me incredible opportunities, like meeting a bunch of really influential famous people just during the semester!! Some of those names include Piper Kerman (author of Orange is the New Black), former Vice President of the United States (and DePauw Alum, more importantly) Dan Quayle, and I even got a media pass to cover a closed speech that President Obama gave in Indianapolis. DePauw brings amazing speakers to campus through the Ubben Lecture series, and one of the coolest experiences was getting to sit down and interview the NFL Quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts, Andrew Luck. During this surreal experience, I captured some photos of this incredibly intelligent, handsome, down to earth, talented person. Here are the many faces of Andrew Luck, and a few wise words he gave me. 

“[College] is such a fun time. You sort of have the liberty and license to grow and ask questions and do new things and meet new people. And if you do those things with people you know and like, I think it’s fun.”

“It’s all about creating a mentality about toughness, about fighting back, about getting up when you get knocked over.”

“I think understanding that in sports, you have serious consequences if you miss a deadline for something, if you don’t deliver, you lose in a sense, and I think that carries over to school. You know how to prepare for a game, and you use those same lessons to prepare for a final project in a sense.”

“Looking back I’m very glad I got and finished my degree and graduated. It’s a mark of pride in a sense, to graduate, and have an alma mater.”

“My parents stressed academics, and I love school. I loved class, learning is fun. It’s one of the things you miss when you’re out of it, that I miss.”

So there you have it. Not only is he an incredibly successful NFL quarterback, but he’s also incredibly smart (graduated from high school as co-valedictorian and then played and graduated from Stanford), but he’s very down to earth, humble, and appreciative of the experiences he’s had in his life. But let’s be real, he’s also just spectacular to look at. 

Let it roll, let it roll, let it roll, Andrew.