A Little Motivation: A Peek into a Bright Future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Alison Stephens

The end of a semester can be tough. Final papers, projects, and exams make every day overwhelming. Sometimes, you just want to throw in the towel and give up, but something keeps you at the library until two in the morning finishing that last little bit of homework. It’s exhausting!

Thankfully, there is the motivation of Christmas Break and Winter Term right around the corner to keep you focused; it’s the light at the end of the tunnel! Here’s a peek at what’s to come—consider it a quick vacation from the endless work to dream about the wonderful things ahead. 

Oh, there’s no place like home for the holidays!

Picture hot chocolate, fireplaces, and your family when you hit that writing block or don’t want to do that last calculus problem. Trust me, it keeps you going! Just think, after you have everything turned in, you can finally relax in your queen-sized bed and sleep-in. It’s the most wonderful time of year, and the welcoming, open arms of friends and family will be that much better after studying for hours on end. Soak up the holiday cheer, and use it as a time to reflect on your semester and appreciate the people who surround you when you finally return home. It’s out longest break of the year, so enjoy every relaxing second, especially with no schoolwork to attend to!

Wonderful Winter Term

The fun doesn’t end with Christmas Break. Winter Term is just around the corner! Beginning January 4, On-Campus Winter Term courses officially kick-off. And with that, the greatest three weeks of school begin for DePauw students! It’s a perfect transition into second semester after finals and Winter Break because the workload isn’t nearly the same. With fun and inspiring classes like Happiness, Writing Children’s Books, and Furniture Design, you can’t go wrong by staying on campus! 

And while you’re here, take advantage of your run of the school! The campus isn’t nearly as populated, so make sure you explore and enjoy the peaceful winter wonderland that our little campus turns into. Go sledding in the Dells, do yoga at the Reflection Center, and dare to do a Boulder Run. Hey, less people to witness it right?… 

The three weeks that are approaching are a great time to bond with your floor mates and sorority sisters, so take advantage of this low-key time on campus before second semester kicks into high gear!

Exotic Explorations

Needless to say, the travelers have more motivation that any of us. Soon, many collegiettes will turn into jet setters during their Winter Term and take “intensive learning” to a whole new level. These students are working for off-campus trips to various countries abroad.
The trips are led by DePauw faculty members and incorporate a curriculum that coincides with their travels. To name a few, trips to Italy, London, and Costa Rica are jammed packed with excursions and memories. Whether it’s a service trip or sight seeing that you preparing for, I promise you it’ll be better than the endless studying you’re pushing through now! Promise to send us some pictures and bring back some souvenirs?

So, when you are down in the dumps about work, just imagine your Christmas break or Winter Term adventures, and you’ll make it through! Now, back to reality and study, study, study!

Mckenzie Curran is a Sociology and Communication major at DePauw University. Mckenzie is new to the HerCampus Team, and looks forward to planning HerCampus events in the upcoming school year in order to spread awareness of the site. Mckenzie spends her free time going to campus events, baking, and hanging out with her Kappa Alpha Theta sisters.