Little 5 co-chair Laura Guild ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Though this winter is still brewing up forecasts for snow, spring should hopefully be riding in pretty soon.  The season of spring brings blooming flowers, longer days full of sunlight and the event we wait all year for: Little 5.  Her Campus is getting a jump start into the riding season and talking with co-chair Laura Guild about what it takes to make a successful, fun and memorable Little 5. 

Fast Facts:

Name:  Laura Guild

Year:  Junior

Hometown:  Indianapolis

Major:  Biology and Spanish

Favorite place to study on DePauw’s campus:  Prindle

HC: You are one of the co-chairs along with Jordan Bantista on Little 5 this year, how did you get this position? 

Laura Guild: Last year’s co-chairs nominated us to be this year’s chairs and we accepted.

HC: Have you ever ridden in Little 5 or hope to next year? 

LG: No I never have, but wish I could have and this position is part of a two-year commitment so I cannot ride next year either.

HC: Is there a lot of work that goes into this position? What do you find most challenging? 

LG: The beginning of the semester is just doing little things like setting up committees, but after spring break we get really busy and have to get the logistics down.  That involves coordinating the steering committees, each organization that has riders. They help to plan the events of the week leading up to the Criterium Race, the big race on Saturday.  The most difficult part of the job is getting in contact with the city council and local government leaders to get Little 5 approved.

HC: What are you most excited about for Little 5 this year?

LG: So far we have had a good turn out of riders, over 100 this year. I’m really excited to see the race on Saturday and see how DePauw comes out to represent its riders.

HC: If students want to get involved what can they do?

LG: Contact the steering committee rep from your organization or myself or Jordan Bantista and we can find something you can do to get involved with the events of little 5.

HC: What do you most look forward to about Little 5 this year? 

LG: As usual we have our time trials, scratch races, street sprints and the Criterium race.  There will most likely be a Little 5 5k, live music and entertainment during the races, car stuff, and many more fun activities!