Life Lessons from Buddy the Elf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

We all know and love Buddy the Elf. (If for some strange reason you’re unfamiliar with this endearing character, please, go watch Will Ferrell in the movie Elf this instant). Thanksgiving is almost here, and then the official Elf-viewing season ensues! If you need a stress reliever after a bit too much family time, watch Elf to induce some genuine laughter as you indulge in those turkey and stuffing leftovers. Although it’s a movie about Christmastime, Buddy serves as an ideal example for the positive attitude we should strive to attain throughout the entire calendar year.

Spoiler alert: In the movie, Santa’s sleigh crashes, because there isn’t enough Christmas cheer to help him fly. But, Buddy cleverly comes to the rescue as he recalls, “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.” Sure enough, as everyone in Central Park begins to sing, Santa’s sleigh lifts into the air. Throughout all cultures, singing spreads joy. When the radio blares an obnoxious song it can be easy to overlook the power of music, but in actuality it is a dynamic outlet of expression that cannot be replaced or translated into other avenues. Not much of a singer yourself? Hit up a concert—DePauwCapella is guaranteed to satisfy your musical cravings.

Speaking of cravings…anyone else out there have a sweet tooth? Or, maybe an entire mouth full of sweet teeth? With cookies and candy galore, I become an insatiable sugar fiend during the holiday season. I used to feel guilty about it, but with the help of Buddy, that guilt has long since disappeared. You think you eat unhealthy as a college student? Get to know an elf! Their four main food groups are candy, candy canes, candy corns, and syrup. Now I’m not suggesting you adopt this food pyramid, but keep things in perspective. Please, don’t deprive yourself of desserts. As long as you regularly exercise (running in circles through revolving doors, anyone?) and you eat your fruit and veggies, there is absolutely no need to refrain from edible holiday treats.

My favorite trait about Buddy? His contagious, unfailing joy. “I just like to smile! Smiling’s my favorite.” Who doesn’t love to smile? Supposedly, actions follow emotions. But, some developmental psychiatrists find that it works the other way around. If you smile when you feel like pouting, you can trick yourself into a good mood. Try it! With a smile on your face, your stress level instantly lowers. You feel competent and confident that you can conquer your workload. Most importantly, your grin may trigger someone else’s smile. A chain reaction like yawning—but less exhausting and more encouraging.

So, as you go about your day, I challenge you to channel your inner Buddy. (Just don’t eat ABC gum off the sidewalk}. Ask people to tell you their favorite color. Make a schedule that includes time to eat cookie dough or hold hands or make snow angels—or all three. Whistle while you work, eat something delicious, smile at friends and strangers alike. Wouldn’t you love to live in a world filled with people as carefree and happy as Buddy the Elf?