Knowing the Limit: the Dangers of Stalking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

It may have gone unnoticed during Winter Term, but January was National Stalking Awareness month. Now, I know what your thinking, stalkers are creepy old men who randomly find you on Facebook or deranged ex-boy(girl)friends that won’t stop calling. But, stalking is actually a very serious issue in today’s modern “tech savvy” society. According to the Stalking Resource Center, 6.6 million Americans are stalked every year. With so much information readily available online it is easy for many strangers to find you. However, most stalking reports actually come from mutual acquaintances or former intimate partners, and 66% are female stalking victims. The Stalking Resource Center also says that many victims report stalking from their former intimate partner. There are ways of identifying, preventing, and stopping stalking that you should know, even here at DePauw.

How far is too far?

We all know we are guilty of it, flipping through the Facebook pictures of a hot guy who you talked to at that party on Friday night or checking to see if a girl from your high school class really is engaged. But, how far is too far? What are some signs that that harmless Facebook creeping has transformed into full-blown stalking?

Stalking includes many of the following actions:

– Unwanted and repeated calls, emails letters, contact, etc.

– Threatening to harm you or someone close to you

– Trying to keep a relationship that is no longer mutually desired

– Following you

If you think you are being stalked, you should utilize DePauw’s Public Safety or even Greencastle police if necessary. Only confront the person if the situation is SAFE because many do not realize that their actions are considered stalking. And, confide in a friend. Even something as simple as sharing the burden will take away some of the stalker’s power.

Stalking is a very serious issue that goes relatively unnoticed. If ignored, some situations can have very serious consequences. Even if you are not completely sure if you are being stalked it’s always better to let someone know first before something happens. Now don’t panic, you can still look at that cute guy from your hometown Instagrams or check your ex’s twitter feed once in awhile (just make sure you’re not actually following them).