Jenna Fischer is Coming to DePauw!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

I know that a lot of students on this campus are fans of The Office! If you’re one of them, then I’m sure you will be extremely excited to find out that Jenna Fischer is coming to DePauw in April for an Ubben Lecture! This lecture will take place on April 17th at eight o’clock in the evening in Kresge Auditorium, and I strongly recommend going! Fischer recently wrote a book called The Actor’s Life: A Survival Guide that was published in November of 2017. This is her first book, and it’s about the complicated path toward becoming a professional actor. Did you know that she landed her role on The Office eight years after moving to Los Angeles? Using her personal experience, Fischer wants to help guide and inspire any actors who dream of following the path to becoming a professional. To make things better, the book even has a foreword that’s written by Steve Carrel! Fischer is also going to be starring in a new show on ABC called Splitting Up Together. It’s a comedy about a couple that gets a divorce but decides to keep living together to take care of their children, which is another thing that she will be discussing. Fingers crossed that she discusses The Office, too!

Some of the other Ubben Lectures this school year included David Hanson and his robot creation Sophia, Bill Rasmussen, who is the founder of ESPN, and Malala Yousafzai, the youngest ever Nobel Peace Prize recipient. Fischer coming as a speaker will add to the variety of people that have been invited to share their thoughts through these lectures. Fischer will bring her unique background as an actress and share her experiences with the DePauw community.

Even if you aren’t a huge fan of Fischer, it’s always a great idea to expose yourself to the many speakers that DePauw brings to campus, especially since it’s free! Take advantage of the numerous opportunities that DePauw has for you to learn about new people. The Ubben Lectures are something that we are fortunate to have as students, bringing us entrepreneurs, world leaders, celebrities, and robots! Due to a gift from Tim and Sharon Ubben, DePauw is able to bring notable people to speak to the community each year. Hearing these speakers is a rare opportunity that many of us won’t have after we graduate, and it’s important to take advantage of it while we can. Hope to see you there!

Greta Raser is a sophomore at DePauw University. She is involved in the Environmental Fellows Program, Sustainability Leadership Program, and Timmy Global Health. She is from Cincinnati, OH and enjoys running, hiking, biking and spending time outdoors.