samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

It’s a Bird! It’s a Plane! Nope, Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Every year, thousands of college students fall victim to the stress and horrors of midterm week. With each day taking a toll on our physical and mental health, it is very easy to feel like you’re going through the days like a mindless robot. All for what? To potentially fail a test you pulled three all nighters for? Most college students forget about the most important thing when studying for midterms: well-being! Midterms are an evil Grinch that can really increase you stress levels, as if we don’t have enough to worry about being college students. Unfortunately, I don’t have the sacred answers to doing well on midterms, but I am here to provide a survival guide to taking care of yourself during these hard times so that we can all walk into spring break with most of our hair and a happy state of mind.  Setting aside time for relaxation and physical activity is very crucial in order to be the best you can be during these hard time. When the body undergoes long-term stress, there can be detrimental effects such as acne, change in sex drive and fatigue. Who wants that!? All of these things can be prevented with some physical activity! Take a relaxing walk in the nature park or ride your bike into the scenic streets of downtown GC (just take your bike to the nature park). There’s nothing better than a change in scenery from your cozy old wooden desk to the beautiful sunsets on Indiana. Getting off your feet is and getting outside is a great way to relax and get some good ole’ fresh air.

Another way to relax and get that crick out your neck is to indulge in some hot yoga! This mind-body practice is perfect for stress relief, soreness and inner peace. You don’t have to be crazy flexible to have a good time, and, the best part about it *drum roll* THERE’S NO RUNNING! So it’s okay if you’re not a super fit person, leave that to the Victoria Secret models and Olympians. Stop by a yoga sesh on campus during your study break and see if it’s your thing! Clear your mind, relax and burn some calories while you’re at it. Walk away feeling refreshed, energetic and ready to take on the world again!

Maybe you’re not an active person but still want to find a way to release your frustrations and have some fun. Yoga and nature parks aren’t for everyone, and that’s okay! There are many other ways to having a little fun on your study breaks, like simply just lying in bed and taking a nap. Sleep is key to keeping your brain happy and alert while cramming for those pesky midterm exams. While loading up on instant coffee and barricading your self in the library is delightful and exciting, sometimes the answer to your prayers is just lying in your bed. Take a nap, watch some Key & Peele skits or just binge watch your favorite Netflix show for an hour (easier said than done so be mindful and know your self control).

One thing to always keep in mind while you’re studying is to EAT, EAT, EAT. Food is your friend in a studious routine. But I’m not talking about just any food; I’m talking about good, clean, healthy food. This is not to say that you can’t indulge in one or five bags of white cheddar popcorn; that’s our basic civil right. However, one should keep in mind the most important meal of the day, that’s right, I’m talkin’ breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of your day because it gives you the energy you need to tackle those exams! 

While eating breakfast, being a yoga/Netflix enthusiast is great. There is one thing that beats all of these, and that’s time management. One of those really important life skills our high school teachers never really taught us. Nothing will stress you out more than cramming for a midterm on a Sunday night. You can be a happy healthy student and your world can still fall around you when you realize that you have less than 24 hours to prepare for a midterm you’ve known about for two weeks. Time management is keeping a planner so you can have your master “to-do” list every day and be a productive human being. So, if you want to be happy and healthy, you have to make time for the Netflix watching, nature park and most importantly midterm studying. You are only as good as your study habits, but it’s always important to have fun and be happy and healthy!

Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.