Indiana Winter Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
With the first bout of snow on the ground, it’s pretty clear that winter is starting up. Indiana winters can be brutal, especially for students from outside the Midwest. Here are some tips for how to survive the next few months:

Layering

Layering clothes allows you to easily adjust throughout the day. From the freezing outdoors to a hot, stuffy classroom you can always add or take off a layer to stay comfortable. Throw on long underwear or a pair of leggings under jeans to stay warm and stock up on a few thermal T-shirts to wear under sweaters!

Waterproof Boots

It’s easy to gravitate towards leather riding boots during the colder months, but they wont hold up very well in snowy weather. For slick, icy days waterproof rubber shoes will provide much needed traction. Plus, they will keep your feet dry! Grab a pair of Bean Boots or the similar style of Sperry Duck Boots.

Wool Socks

My mom has a drawer full of wool socks that she is always lending to my brothers and I. Wool socks under some boots will keep your feet warm even in snow! Check out this recent article from HC DePauw for tips on how to pair your socks and boots.

Gloves

Cold, dry weather always wreaks havoc on my hands, leaving me with chapped, bleeding knuckles and purple fingers. If you’re like me, walking outside without gloves on is a miserable thought. I suggest buying a few pairs of cheap gloves from Walmart to keep in all of your coat pockets. You can even texting gloves, which allow for full usage of your phone!

Chapstick

Dry, chapped lips seem to be inevitable in winter, but not anymore! I always carry Chapstick with me to reapply throughout the day. My favorite is a moisturizing stick from Palmer’s that can be used on lips or skin. The Her Campus crew received some samples lately and they are perfect!
Depauw '17 I'm from Dublin, Oh and I write for the style blog :)
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.