How to Survive Little 5

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

How to Survive Little 5
 Lizzy Dewart

It’s finally here!  Midterms, Spring Break and the first Fraturday have come and gone, and now it’s the week we’ve all been waiting for: DePauw University’s Little 5!  This is one of the biggest and most celebrated weeks on DePauw’s campus.  There are events happening all week on campus to help countdown to the final race day.  I’m sure we’re all eager and ready to cheer on our favorite riders in the race on Saturday. 

However, you’ve been forewarned, Little 5 festivities can come with a price, and very easily get the best of you! As a senior, I have witnessed and been a part of all the ups and downs that Little 5 offers.  So, to those who have not been a part of the bike riding celebration, I’ve compiled a survival list on how to survive Saturday and still make it out alive to party Saturday night!

1.    Sunscreen
Sunscreen is Little 5’s favorite accessory.  You should already be protecting your skin and wearing sunscreen everyday, but it is CRUCIAL you remember to lather up during the day of the race.  Saturday’s forecast isn’t predicted to be very hot, with a high of only 61°F.  But beware, cloudy doesn’t mean you won’t get a sunburn!  Stash some SPF in your frat-pack, and you’ll be set all day!

2.    Frat Tank

Frat tanks are the Little 5 standard on DePauw’s campus.  Every Greek house member and non-affiliate seems to get the same memo—make the best shirt for Little 5 that supports your riders.  Get creative!  Some of the best slogans and designs appear on Little 5 tanks.

3.    Water
It is so important that you all remember to hydrate!  You’re going to be yelling and cheering on your bikers all day, and that will leave you parched.  Also, if you choose to participate in some other facets of celebration, it is vital to remember to drink water and keep yourself quenched!  Get crafty, and put a water bottle in a frat-tastic koozie!

4.    Frat Shades—Croakies Highly Encouraged
There’s always a possibility of race day being sunny, and you’ll want to be able to see where you’re going!  Protect your eyes with a pair of your favorite frat shades. For an added effect, don’t forget your favorite croakie to hold your glasses, or a hat to help hide the sun!

5.    Camera!
This is the most obvious, but most important, Little 5 accessory. The camera is Little 5’s partner in crime.  It helps you remember what you may end up forgetting, and is of course there to snapshot your candid epic fails. Another tip—try not to lose it! Write your name or initials somewhere on your camera, or store it in your frat-pack. You’ll definitely want it to capture some of your favorite memories at DePauw.

These helpful hints should make it easy to survive DePauw’s Little 5! Enjoy! 

Mckenzie Curran is a Sociology and Communication major at DePauw University. Mckenzie is new to the HerCampus Team, and looks forward to planning HerCampus events in the upcoming school year in order to spread awareness of the site. Mckenzie spends her free time going to campus events, baking, and hanging out with her Kappa Alpha Theta sisters.