How to Strengthen your Immune System at School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Sometimes it can be really, really hard to admit your parents know what’s best for you. Especially when they said things like, “don’t go outside with your hair wet” or “don’t forget to take your vitamins,” when you were younger. Fast-forward to college and if you’re anything like me, you’re doing anything you possibly can to not get sick. Before the weather takes a U-turn and your roommate is coughing up a storm, consider some of these things in order to take precaution and strengthen that immune system.

Eat Healthy

It’s simple! Eat the right foods! The more you fill your body with the nutritious foods like vegetables and fruit, the better off you’ll be. A balanced diet can keep you feeling well, and keep your energy high! Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, and finish off with a little dessert—I mean, who can say no to a cupcake…really?

Take Your Vitamins

This is a general, obvious one, but many of us never seem to remember to take our vitamins daily. A lot of the vitamins we need come from the foods we eat, but taking a Vitamin C supplement is the easiest way to boost your immune system. You can take the stuff you pour into water, or you could eat some oranges! Another supplement that works to fight viruses like the common cold and upper respiratory infections is Echinacea. Echinacea is an herb and its leaves, flowers, and roots are used to make medicine that is known to slow down possible symptoms. The third supplement I recommend is a Probiotic. Although, probiotics can be found in certain foods, a supplement daily works wonders. Probiotics are used for hard to solve digestive problems, such as abdominal pain, cramps, bloating etc. However, it can also prevent UTI’s, yeast infections, and allergy symptoms. Probiotics, like Vitamin C, can be found in a dosed supplement, or in things like yogurt. It is, overall, a great way to boost your immune system. All of these dosed supplements can be bought at a local drugstore.

Dress for the Weather

We all know that in the Midwest, one day it can be 85 and sunny and the next it’ll be pouring rain in the low 50s. Always make sure to check the weather and dress appropriately for it. To go along with that, remember the myth that going outside with your hair wet can get you sick? Well although that’s not 100% true, but being cold and having your hair wet weakens your immune system, making it a playground for viruses. Dressing warm can help prevent that.

Keep Your Hands Clean

Being surrounded by so many people on campus means you have to constantly be aware of all the germs lurking on every surface you touch. Washing your hands with soap and water, for thirty seconds at least, is one of the best ways to keep from getting sick. Now, not suggesting you should be a “germaphobe” but you should also get into the habit of carrying around a mini bottle of hand sanitizer or mini packs of disinfecting wipes. These can come in handy (no pun intended) when you’re about to eat or study at the library. Both kill about 99.9% of germs and take a few seconds to use.

Get Enough Sleep

Don’t laugh! College students obviously hardly ever have time to sleep. Unfortunately, lack of sleep not only affects our schoolwork but also our health, by weakening our immune system, and sucking all of our energy. However, another big problem some face is not being able to fall asleep even though your body is exhausted. Make sure you give yourself some time to wind down; stop checking Twitter, watching Vines, and looking at Instagram. Turn off your TV, and get a good book that you can read each night before going to bed. If those suggestions don’t work, another recommendation is to take a Melatonin supplement before bed or purchase some “Sleepy Tea.” Both of these are available at the drug store and will have you calm enough to sleep in no time.

Rose Overbey

DePauw '20