Healthy Must-haves at The Hub

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

What I always eat at The Hub and why you should too! 

Grilled Chicken

The grilled chicken at the Hub has a great amount of protein and B vitamins and minerals such as iron. Protein and B vitamins and minerals are essential for building a strong immune system and are beneficial to the metabolism, nerve function, and maintaining healthy red blood cells. On the Bon Appetit website they state, “Turkey and chicken are produced without the routine use of antibiotics as a feed additive,” and encourage the consumption of lean protein. Also, the meat is always seasoned and it is also a great alternative to fried chicken, which is filled with calories and fat.

Sweet Potato Fries

So you probably think I’m crazy for thinking any kind of French fry is healthy, but hear me out. Sweet potato fries are an awesome alternative to regular French fries especially when you can’t help but crave them. Don’t feel guilty about eating them next time because they are actually a great source of nutrients. They have a very large fiber content which prevents a blood sugar spike that usually makes you hungry shortly after you finish eating. They also have Vitamin A which is beneficial to new red blood cell production, your immune system, and your vision, as well as Potassium which regulates the activity of enzymes and helps control your blood pressure. Plus, I’m almost positive they are seasoned with lemon, rosemary, and sea salt, which is completely natural.

Cottage Cheese

I’m not going to lie, this is not my favorite but I’ve seen cottage cheese as a side on many athletes’ plates and I could definitely stomach it for the nutritional benefits. Cottage cheese is pretty low in calories, fat, and carbohydrates. However it is very high in protein, the protein that is slow digesting which will keep you from getting hungry longer. It’s also high in bone-building calcium which is helpful if you’re not a big milk drinker like myself. If you don’t think you can just eat it by itself, you can always eat cottage cheese with vegetables and fruit, such as a dip or combined, or it would work well on a pita or crackers.

Brown Rice

Better for you than white rice, brown rice is a great source of fiber, magnesium, and is useful in maintaining a healthy weight and lowering cholesterol. Magnesium is really important because it helps regulate nerve and muscle tone and fiber helps regulate the digestive system. Brown rice is provided almost every day at The Hub and although sometimes I feel like it could be somewhat bland, it should be on your plate as much as possible.

The Dessert Bar

Obviously, I’m going to leave the best for last: the dessert bar. At this point, you definitely think I’m crazy for putting this on the list, but this one is also important. All of us can admit that the Hub has, like, the best desserts ever, and it IS the first thing you see as you walk in. Plus the holidays are coming up which means double the fun with different fall and winter specialties. All of us crave chocolate and ice cream and brownies and cookies and lemon bars, and that is natural. Therefore, it is NOT a bad idea to eat some sweets in moderation. The whole “sugar-free” move will backfire on you very quickly. I’m sure it already has. Eat some sugar to curb the cravings you are having and to lower stress levels, hence “eating your feelings.” It is okay to indulge every once in awhile. The dessert bar can be your friend!

Rose Overbey

DePauw '20