Growing Up? How do I do that??

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

According to almost everyone I talk to, at the young age of 20, I’m supposed to be preparing to enter the real world. Resumes, internships, and my not yet created, but desperately needed LinkedIn account have been consuming my thoughts for the past month.  In a perfect world, my resume would be stellar and well composed, I’d have a summer internship already lined up, and my LinkedIn account would be set up and utilized by possible future employers. But let’s face it, I’m a twenty year old, second semester sophomore, cringing at the idea of growing up, and every day I’m faced with a thousand more things I need to do. But with the guidance of a lot of good people, I’m slowly dealing with all of this…and here’s how.

I’ve gotten organized (for the most part)

I’m convinced my dorm room will be in a constant state of disaster, but I’ll deal with that when I have time. But as far as my schoolwork, my thoughts, and my agenda and schedule, I’m organized more than I ever imagined. My desk calendar is my best friend, the color-coding matches the one in my handheld agenda (I know you’re impressed).  It’s kept me on my game. Oh you want to meet with me on Monday at 2:50? Sorry, I tutor then. It says so…right here…in orange.

I used my resources well 

My resume, although informative, was not up to snuff.  Since I don’t know how to write a good resume, I went straight to the people who do. They helped me organize all of my activities, and lay out a new way of organizing my resume so that employers would be able to understand everything I was involved in. Good thing, too, because I need an internship this summer…to add…to my resume. But at least I’ll know how next time I create one!!

I’m not taking total credit for the finished product though. I have a wonderful 23 year-old sister, who was employed straight out of college, and works full time in Boston. I can only assume she knew what she was doing when she got employed, so of course I sent her my resume and begged her for her expertise. I know she’s busy, but she was willing to help me, and I’m forever grateful. I’ll send you some chocolate, Cait.

I asked seven different people for letters of recommendation

Why? Because I need as much help as I can get. Professors, supervisors, and family friends are great resources for these letters because they all offer different understandings of who I am. Conveying to a possible employer how well rounded I am, and that in many different fields I’m accomplished, is important if I want to be seriously considered for a position at a company. Building relationships with people who will advocate for you is so critical in this process—I’d suggest getting on top of that.

I asked everyone I knew for contacts

I don’t mind sending my resume out to 100 different people if it means I have a chance of being offered a great opportunity. Whether I’m asking a neighbor to pass my resume up the ladder in his company, or if I’m asking my sister’s best friend to give me old contacts of his, the more I put myself out there, the better my chances are of getting an offer! I spend hours online searching for internship applications, and I apply to whatever I can find. It’s a hard process, but I have no doubt that it will pay off.

Am I making this up as I go? Maybe a little. I can’t go a day without my mom asking how my job search is going. But I’m using every possible source of help that I can, hoping that the outcome is exactly what I need. I don’t necessarily like the idea of growing up, but it’s a reality I have to accept. And let’s be real, there are so many opportunities to wear cute office outfits—it can’t be all that bad! 

Rose Overbey

DePauw '20