Get Ready for Goodall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Springtime is one of the best times to be at DePauw. The sun is finally beginning to shine, putting everyone in a good mood, and we anticipate summer travels and adventures. This spring semester, DePauw has a special visitor that will make our campus an even more remarkable place to be! On April 17th, Jane Goodall will be travelling to our campus to give this year’s Ubben Lecture, “Sowing the Seed of Hope.” The acclaimed environmentalist, founder of the Jane Goodall Institute, and United Nations Messenger of Peace will speak at 8 pm in Neal Fieldhouse.

At this lecture, Jane Goodall will transport the audience into the Tanzanian jungle where she conducted research for 45 years. In her time abroad, Goodall made many discoveries about Chimpanzee behavior and social habits that had never been previously studied. We may learn a thing or two about “monkeying around” by attending her lecture! Goodall’s institute advocates for conservation, poverty, development, and education. She was named an officer of the French Legion of Honor, Frances most respected honor. Past recipients of this award include: oceanographer Jacques Cousteau, anti-Holocaust and human rights activist Elie Wiesel and advocate for the death and blind, Helen Keller. Honors go on: In 2003, Queen Elizabeth II named Dr. Goodall a Dame of the British Empire, the equivalent of a knighthood. She was honored with the Medal of Tanzania, Japan’s Kyoto Prize, the National Grographic Society’s Hubbard Medal, and was named a United Nations “Messenger of Peace.” Messengers work with the public and encourage individuals to get involved in work that will better the world. This is just the beginning of her extensive list of achievements. If you’re as excited as I am to see Goodall, you can read up on her beforehand; her autobiography is titled Reason for Hope.

Here on campus, there are many things we can do to try and live Goodall’s message. If you are looking for a way to start conserving, the Energy Games is a great place to start. The Energy Games is a competition to reduce electricity and water use in living units and Greek houses. In past years, this event has proved to be a huge success in saving electricity and utility costs. In November 2010, DePauw placed first among 40 other colleges, with a reduction of 26%. A few little things make a big difference! For example: always turn off the lights when leaving an empty room, turn off the water when you are brushing your teeth, reduce the amount of time that you spend in the shower, unplug chargers that aren’t being used. With a small effort from every student at DePauw, we can help to do our part in reducing coal emissions from coal burning power plants around the state.

Appreciating nature has the power to change habits! Walking or jogging through DePauw’s beautiful nature park is a relaxing escape from homework and a great way to connect with nature. You will leave feeling clear headed and appreciative of what we have right in our back yard!

It is such a great opportunity to see world-renowned conservationist Jane Goodall right here on DePauw’s campus. Step out of Indiana for a few hours and open up to the rest of the world. Don’t miss this must-see lecture!

Abby

DePauw

DePauw University
Rose Overbey

DePauw '20