Five Shoes You Wouldn’t Think to Bring to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

There’s some essential shoes that everyone tells you are a “must” for your first year of college, like a pair of tennis shoes and flip flops for the shower. But there are a few other types of shoes you might want to consider bringing with you that weren’t on your list! Here are five pairs of shoes that can be a great addition to your college closet:  

1. Toms or comfortable flats

Yes, you’ll be doing a lot of walking in college, but that doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice fashion for comfort. Toms or comfy flats in a neutral color go great with jeans and nice tops on days you want to look a little nicer.

2. Moccasins

Moccasins are great to pair with leggings and an oversized sweatshirt for a more pulled-together look. The soft deerskin material is unique and doesn’t give you blisters. These comfy shoes are perfect for every season!

3. Bean Boots

These boots are great because they can be used both for snowy winter days and for rainy days during the other months. Bean Boots can save you from having to buy two pairs of boots. Just be sure to get some long socks to wear with them!

4. Slippers

You don’t always want to throw on a wet pair of flip flops when you want to trek down to the yucky communal bathrooms, so a pair of slippers can become a must to have for your dorm hallways. And when your dorm get cold at night, you can wear your slippers to keep your feet warm!

5. Birkenstocks

You’ve probably seen these everywhere by now, and they’re just as great as everyone makes them out to be. Just slide them on in hot weather and you’ve instantly got a put-together outfit. Birkenstocks can be really expensive, but the knock offs work just as well as they are super cute and pretty easy to find. 

Jackie Ebel

DePauw '21

Jackie is a current senior communication major at DePauw University in Indiana. She's lived in Massachusetts, Texas, and Maryland. She loves swimming, ice chai lattes, and the band Walk the Moon. Jackie is the editor for the profile and features sections of DePauw's branch of HerCampus.