First Annual Reindeer Run

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

This past Saturday, December 6th, DePauw University’s Mortar Board teamed up with Putnam County’s Giving Tree organization to host the first Annual 5K Reindeer Run!

For those of you who do not know, the Mortar Board is a merit, leadership, and philanthropic honor society on campus. It is made up of about twenty hardworking seniors that go above and beyond what is expected of them. The Putnam County’s Giving Tree is a local organization that fundraises to help families in need during the crazy holiday season. According to the event information page the Giving Tree serves approximately 300 families and over 700 children during the holiday season. The organizations works to collect not only gifts for the families but also important necessities. The Mortar Board worked with businesses around Greencastle and asked for them to donate to the cause. These donations included: food, drinks, prizes, tents, and more. Some of these businesses that made donations were Myers Market, Monical’s, Kroger, and McDonalds.

Even though the race was a friendly competition and participants were encouraged to complete it at whatever pace they wished, the top three finishing males and top three finishing females received prizes! Prizes were also given out to the participants in the best costumes.The event was a good opportunity for members of the DePauw community to serve the town that they reside in and to give back. There was music, holiday treats, antler headbands, Santa hats, and a silent auction. All of the proceeds were given to the Giving Tree organization. The event raised over $1200!

Way to go residents of Putnam County and DePauw Tigers!