pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Meet HerCampus’ Profile of the week, senior Emily Scinta, who’s passion for barre has inspired her to create her own class here at DePauw and start a fun and flirty movement! Keep reading below to see what lead her to where she is today!

Her Campus: Hi Em! Thanks for sitting down with HerCampus and telling us more about barre! So, first, tell us when and why you started doing barre.

Emily Scinta: I started taking barre classes when I was a junior in high school when a Pure Barre studio opened up in my hometown of Louisville, KY. I went to a Pure Barre class with a couple of my friends who really enjoyed their experience at the studio. I was honestly very skeptical going into my first class because I was a cardio junky and wasn’t sure if this so called “pure barre” would challenge me. But oh, was I wrong! It was a completely different workout than I had ever experienced.

HC: Oh, interesting. I’ve never heard of it before I first took your class! How is barre different than other workout classes?

ES: Barre does still have cardio because it gets your heart rate up, but it focuses on small, isometric movements that lean out your muscles. My first class was somewhat intimidating, but the instructors, barre consultants and other women in the class were extremely welcoming and made me feel comfortable. I decided to take a spring break challenge where you take as many classes as you can in 30 days leading up to Spring Break, and, before I knew it, I was hooked. I would take class at 6am before school and leave during free periods to take class at lunchtime.

HC: Wow, you must have really enjoyed the workouts then! Why do you think you got hooked so quickly?

ES: It was something that de-stressed me and helped me find balance in my life when I had a lot of family stuff going on. The Louisville Pure Barre studio became a place that I always felt comfortable and pushed me to be a stronger version of myself! 

HC: That’s great you had an outlet like that! Ultimately, what inspired you to teach your own class?

ES: I was inspired to teach my own barre class when I heard that Katherine Martin was teaching barre at DePauw. I have always dreamed of opening my own barre studio one day and want to teach when I graduate from DePauw. I love motivating people and thought it would be fun to share my passion for barre with other people. 

HC: I’m sure lots of people are glad you finally started your own class! Why should people give it a try?

ES: I think people should try the class because it is a full body workout that helps tone women’s problem areas and leaves them feeling stronger and more comfortable with their bodies. Everyone in class is there to support each other, and it’s just a fun 60 minute workout that goes by quickly! It provides a challenge, but it is not something so difficult where one leaves feeling bad about themselves. It is empowering and leaves people feeling stronger! 

HC: All good things, all good things! So, last question, what has barre done for you?

ES: My passion for barre started with Pure Barre, and I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to begin at a young age. Barre has given me the confidence to push through a workout and find a happy balance in life. I always feel at ease after I take class and feel like I can conquer the world! At the end of the day, that’s all a girl can ask for from a fitness class. 

HC: Thanks for the time, Em. Keep killing it!

Come try a barre class every Tuesday and Thursday from 11:45-12:45 in the GCPA dance studio room 0201!

Sophomore Psychology MajorMember of Alpha PhiWomen's Varsity Lacrosse  
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.