Dear Debbie DePauw: Tips for Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Dear Debbie,

Midterms are coming up (unfortunately) and I’m not the best test-taker. I tend to get distracted and just plain nervous. I really need to do well this time around. What are some tips for studying and taking tests?

– Scared Silly

Scared Silly,

Ah ‘tis that time of year again, but remember there is light at the end of the tunnel; spring break!!!!! I’m happy to share some of my study tips and test taking tricks with you. I hope they help and good luck!

1. Write out a study guide! Is this tedious and time consuming? Yes. Is it worth it? YES! Numerous studies show that writing down your notes helps with memory retention and I can tell you from experience that writing out a cumulative study guide literally raised my grades by letter grades. If you feel extra confident in some areas, you can leave those out and review them later while writing out the areas you’re more uncomfortable with.
  2. Don’t wait until the last minute (or the last week). This goes with my earlier tip. Don’t cram study the last week for your test! Most likely you’ll skip parts or not go in depth enough for others. 2 weeks leading up to the exam work on a study guide or review a little each day. Again, this is the best technique for memory retention.
  3. Chew gum during your test. I always do this, but I try not to be obnoxious about it. Peppermint is shown to increase brain activity (definitely worth checking out for a test) but I prefer spearmint. Also bring a water bottle so you don’t get too thirsty and distracted!
  4. Find a study buddy! This is also something that considerably helped raise my grades. Find a buddy and a classroom with a whiteboard and go write out everything you guys go over. This is especially helpful with any exams that involve graphs. A study buddy is great for corrections, solving any tricky problems and quizzing each other. I would suggest a group too but try to keep the numbers low (maybe 5 max) so that you guys can be most productive.
  5. Eat a full meal before taking your test. The worst is when you’re in the middle of your exam and suddenly your tummy growls. Everyone hears it not to mention it’s uncomfortable! I would try to get protein and some whole grains so you feel full and alert for your test. Try eggs, yogurt, oatmeal or whole grain cereal for a quick and beneficial breakfast.
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.