Dear Debbie DePauw: Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Dear Debbie,

I’ve already declared my major but there aren’t many classes for my major next semester. While I’m open to taking other classes that interest me, I also feel like they’re a waste of time. I mean I’m paying for these classes and if they don’t relate to my major what’s the point of taking them? So my question is this; should I pack my schedule with as many classes relating to my major as I can or should I leave some room for extra ‘random’ classes?

Sincerely,

Contemplating

Dear Contemplating,

I totally understand where you’re coming from here. I was in the same place a few semesters ago. First thing I did was go talk to my advisor!! I’m going to share his advice with you because he helped put me back on track when I was stressing out over these classes! Spark note version: take the random classes! Yes you’re paying an exuberant sum for these classes, but there are a few other things to consider when you’re thinking of piling up your major courses. If you’re taking all upper level classes, will you be able to focus your attention accordingly and get the best grade possible in each? More often than not I think it best to have a slightly ‘easier’ class to help balance out those really tough ones. My advisor also made the point to mention that I have the time now to take classes that interest me or might seem fun to me; DePauw specifically designs it’s credit system to fulfill any major/minor work along with gen ed’s and some extra classes! If you’re thinking of pursuing graduate school you won’t be able to take any other classes except those for your degree. It’s never a bad idea to give your brain a break from a consistent stream of major courses. Another way to look at it is these classes can help buffer your GPA a little bit, which comes in handy because if you don’t get a great grade in them it won’t reflect on your major GPA (again, something important to think about for grad school). I ended up taking an anthropology course when I was uncertain and loved it. I hope this helps and gives you the support to take something new!

– Debbie 

Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.