Bursting the Bubble on Campus Safety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

One of the best things about our gorgeous little campus, set in the middle of Indiana cornfields, is what we lovingly refer to as the “DePauw bubble.” There may not be much going on off-campus because, let’s be honest, Greencastle isn’t exactly a bustling metropolis. But, that’s what makes DePauw such a close-knit, self-contained university. However, many of us get so caught up in this bubble that we forget the real world and the dangers that come along with it.

As young collegiate women, we are often the objects of unwanted male attention. It seems like you can’t go on a run without receiving catcalls from passing cars, or go out to a fraternity with your girlfriends without an overeager bro trying to grind on you. Occurrences like this are so common that you know how to deal with them—you ignore the creeps yelling out of their car windows, and get your friends to not-so-subtly pull you out of the way of the frat-star’s gyrating hips. But what happens when this seemingly harmless, although unwarranted, attention turns from annoying to seriously dangerous?

We all may think nothing bad will happen to us, especially within the confines of DePauw’s campus. I hate to burst your bubble, but that isn’t the case. This summer, a 20-year-old Indiana University student went missing in Bloomington—just an hour from DePauw. Lauren Spierer was last seen in the early morning walking from a friend’s townhouse to her downtown apartment just a few blocks away after a night of partying. Even after extensive search efforts and appeals for information on national TV, the police are no closer to finding the petite, blonde student. Lauren’s case is heartbreaking; so, ladies, let’s prevent anything like this from happening at DePauw by being vigilant and following some basic safety tips.

When fratting, always remember to…

1.    Go out in a group. It’s easy for a large group to get separated when everyone is excitedly bopping around your fraternity of choice. Make sure you have at least one or two girls you know you can depend on to not leave you stranded, just in case you don’t get the memo that your huge group of friends is dashing across East College lawn because of rumors of a new batch of Riptide in the making.

2.   Not be embarrassed by asking a bro to walk you back. Yes, it may be 2am. And cold. And raining. And yes, your house isn’t that far from the fraternity, and you’re not that drunk. You could probably make it back just fine on your own and not inconvenience a fine fraternity gentleman. But safety isn’t about convenience; it’s about avoiding potentially dangerous situations. Let’s face it, walking across campus at night by yourself, sober or not, no matter how close your destination, isn’t safe. So, woman up, ask that guy you’ve been flirting with all night to walk you back, and if he starts coming up with excuses, just smile and turn on the charm. He’s sure to want to hear exactly how sweet and brave he is for walking you home, all the way across this big, scary campus—in the dark! What a hero!

Even when you’ve been hitting the books at Roy O. instead of the dance floor at a fraternity, you have to be aware of potential dangers. Remember these tips for staying safe, even when you’re brain-dead after studying inorganic chemistry for eight hours…

1.    Safe Ride isn’t just for intoxicated people. Call this wonderful campus service for a ride back to the dorms from Roy O. Not only will you be safer by avoiding walking alone, but you also avoid that strenuous ten-minute walk across campus (yes, we’re spoiled by this small campus, but hey, textbooks are heavy!)

2.   If Safe Ride isn’t running, call Public Safety instead. They’re more than happy to give students rides on campus if they feel unsafe walking by themselves.

3.   If walking around at night by yourself is unavoidable, be aware of your surroundings. You may feel safe by talking to a friend on the phone while hurrying back home at night, but being on the phone is just a distraction, and it actually makes you an easier target for potential predators. Instead, walk quickly and with a purpose while paying close attention to your surroundings and any suspicious activity. Always trust your gut; if something looks shady, don’t feel bad about running away or screaming. Even if it’s a false alarm, it’s better to be safe than sorry.  

Although we live in this cozy DePauw bubble, we must remember that bubbles can pop. To help prevent something from bursting our bubble, just follow these tips, and be the smart and sassy Her Campus readers I know you are!

Grace is a Communications Major at DePauw University. She enjoys traveling, music, shopping, and being in the sun.