The Best Albums for Your Fall Chill Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.
It’s finally happening; you’ve broken out your favorite sweaters and scarves, and the trees are taking on shades of orange, red, and yellow. It’s fall, and just like the leaves, our playlists are changing too. So whether you’re just relaxing outside on a chilly afternoon, doing some studying, or carving pumpkins with friends, try perusing these albums that practically beg to accompany the autumn season.

Neko Case, Blacklisted

Case’s album, a mix of country and alternative, has a dark, somber twist behind it, especially in tunes such as “Tightly” and  “Things That Scare Me.” Case’s voice and instrumentation prove both powerful and haunting, subtly bringing forth an eerie vibe perfect for Halloween through the aptly titled “Ghost Wiring” and “Deep Red Bells.”  It’s a perfect album for chilly fall nights.

Also give a listen to: “Pretty Girls”

The Head and the Heart, The Head and the Heart

Call their music Americana or call it folk rock—either way, The Head and the Heart’s first album is a must-have for fall. Nothing makes me want to go outside and experience an autumn day like down-to-earth tunes such as “Down in the Valley” and “Cats and Dogs.” This album is perfect for bonfires or study sessions, and even features a dark twist in its own seasonably titled song “Ghosts.”

Also give a listen to: “Sounds Like Hallelujah,” “Rivers and Roads”

Bon Iver, For Emma, Forever Ago

Bon Iver’s quiet, guitar-driven style is great for lazy fall days or to wind down to during long walks or car drives. For Emma, Forever Ago is the perfect album for when you
need a break from the world. Songs like “Blindsided,” “Creature Fear,” and “Flume” echo autumn tranquility; they just have to be listened to outside while looking out at the changing trees.

Also give a listen to: “Skinny Love” (It’s a classic; you just can’t overlook it.)

Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes

This album is a round of lively folk rock tunes that evoke images of crisp autumn mornings and tree-covered cliffs. “Blue Ridge Mountains” exudes an earthy feel while “Ragged Wood” and “Quiet Houses” go along with the excitement of the fall season, of another season of caramel apples and warm sweaters.

Also give a listen to: “He Doesn’t Know Why”
I'm a senior at DePauw University and the Senior Editor for Her Campus DePauw! HCXO!
Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.