The Benefits of a Pup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

About 3 months ago, I decided to adopt a dog to help with my mental anxiety and stress. I went to the shelter and saw this little bugger named Bobby. I fell in love in seconds; he was so energetic, playful, and cuddly I knew I needed to take him home. Of course any pet adds more responsibility, but I believe dogs are overall a benefit to have in your household, and here is why.

DePauw is notorious for giving bundles of homework. Each day there are papers, projects, and assignments due for class. We, as students, want to also be as involved as possible, so we pack our lives full with extracurricular activities; I am getting stressed just talking about it! Petting Bobby is one of the best ways to de-stress. Plus, he is too cute not to gush over.

Another way for me to de-stress is to sit outside with Bob; we sit there together as I do my homework. Let me tell you, Bobby loves to sunbathe; he gets so happy I can’t help but to shower him with belly rubs and take too many pictures.

The last thing I will say is that I find myself sleeping better. I love cuddling, and Bob will either sleep right next to me, next to my head, or right on my belly. He also tends to smile in his sleep, which melts my heart!

Why have a dog? Well, it gives me a reason to get excited at the end of the day! He is always excited to see me and loves to play. I’m so thankful for Bobby, and hopefully you see why a dog can be an advantage for your lifestyle. 

Freshman at Depauw University.