Assistant Lacrosse Coach, Alie Marousek

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Meet the Women’s Lacrosse Assistant Coach and now newest Campus Celebrity, Alie Marousek, who is in her first season as an assistant coach after graduating from Wittenberg University in May 2014. Marousek was a three-year letter winner for the varsity lacrosse team at Wittenberg, captaining them her senior year. In her final season with the Tigers, she was second on the team with 45 goals and 70 total points and third with 25 assists. Additionally, she earned all-NCAC honors three times in her career and was the league’s newcomer of the year in 2012 after transferring from Roanoke College. DePauw is certainly lucky to have a coach like Alie especially after hearing all those stats! Keep reading below to see why Alie is so excited for this season!

HerCampus: Hi Coach, thanks for taking time to answer these questions about our upcoming season! Lets start off with how coaching a new program at Depauw has been for you? 

Coach Alie Marousek: One of the most exciting things about coaching at DePauw is that I’m learning something new about the team and about myself every day. Coming to a new program while beginning my own coaching career is a rewarding experience because we’re building a program and laying the foundation for the future with a team that is getting better each and every day. It’s thrilling to see where our team is going to go this season!

HC: I’m glad you started your coaching career with us; we are excited to see what you’ll do for our team this season and hopefully many more to come! Out of curiosity, how did you end up coaching at DePauw especially after just graduating last year?

CC: I myself was a player of a North Coast Athletic Conference team, for Wittenberg University, where I just graduated last year. I was able to play for the lacrosse team and help in achieving some record-breaking seasons during my time there. It was at Wittenberg where I also began to coach for middle school and high school teams in the Columbus area as well as work with some middle-school aged girls in Springfield who had never played, let alone heard of lacrosse before. Teaching lacrosse challenged me in ways I hadn’t been before, and it was another part of the sport I began to enjoy and find passion in. I knew after graduation I was not done yet, and luckily I was able to find an opportunity here at DePauw to coach and continue my education and go for my master’s degree!

HC: It funny how things work out! I’m sure you’re looking forward to DePauw playing your alma mater this season! Now you have to cheer for a new group of tigers! Where do you see the program going from here?

CC: One of the things that I love about this conference is that it’s truly difficult to predict which teams are going to rank in the top of the conference because it is truly competitive. I myself came from a program that was predicted to finish fifth, but ended up making it to the championship game and finishing first in the conference. I feel that DePauw Women’s Lacrosse has the potential and the talent to do the same, and I would love to be able to contribute to that because the opportunity is there, and we can attain it with motivation and perseverance.

HC: I sure hope we become the under dogs of the conference, I think we are definitely ready for it! What do fans have to look forward to this season?

CC: I think fans are going to see a team that is ready to take the conference by storm. This is a team that is fueled by their past seasons and is ready for a breakout season. There is so much talent and depth on this team that 2015 will be a year like to no other!

HC: Come out and watch our next home games DPU on March 4th @6pm vs. Benedictine and on March 6th @6pm vs. Trine to see for yourself! Last and most important question, why do you love being a coach?  

CC: Being a coach allows me to continue growing the game and being a part of something that I am passionate about. I love that being done as a player doesn’t mean that I am done with the sport, because there are so many other ways to give back and contribute. I work with some great people and for a team that I am excited to work with and see everyday, which means so much to me. 

HC: Well on behalf of the Women’s Lacrosse team and DePauw, we are glad you continued to keep coaching and to spread your knowledge and love for the sport on to our team! Can’t wait to see what season brings and to prove to conference that our breakout season is finally here! Thanks again Coach!

Sophomore Psychology MajorMember of Alpha PhiWomen's Varsity Lacrosse