This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

Dear Debbie,

I’m turning 20 in a few weeks, and I feel like I’m stuck in limbo. Since I still can’t drink, what’s something fun or special I can do for my birthday?

Excellent question! I’m so glad you asked this because it’s applicable for all birthdays regardless of age. You’re right; turning twenty is awkward what with being stuck in the middle of teenager and the infamous 2-1. But there are so many other things to look forward to on your birthday than just being able to drink.  

Take the day off (if you can) to treat yourself! Go to the nearest city and visit a museum or a park or just shop around and see the sights. Go see that movie or play you’ve been dying to see. Go bowling or do something seasonal (right now that would be apply picking and soon going to a haunted house!). Take a friend or a group of friends and make some great memories together. See something new about your city that you haven’t seen before.

I can’t tell you how many great moments I’ve had with friends and family when we’re eating a good meal. We put our phones away and just connect and there are no words for how good it feels to interact with my closest friends that way. I would say those are the moments when we have the best conversations, when we’re relaxed and full of good food. So go to a nice restaurant and instead of being able to get a drink get that slice of double fudge chocolate cake!

The most important part of birthdays, I think, are the memories we make. I’m not going to care about who gave me what or what party I went to, but I’ll remember the people I was with and the activities we did. I hope this helps and happy birthday!

-Debbie

Campus Correspondent for HC DePauw! Psychology and Spanish major, art history minor '17. CollegeFashionista Style Guru & Editorial Intern. DePauw Cheerleading Social Media Manager.